Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Whats the best shifter for the T56

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 iroc
Engine: 5.7 ZZ4, AFR, Stealth Ram, Comp cam
Transmission: 1993 T56 viper internals w Spec3+
Axle/Gears: moser 9" truetrac 3:89
Whats the best shifter for the T56

How does the BandM ripper shifter compare to the pro 5.0. I want to get a real quick shift, it does'nt feel like I'm getting it with the BM ripper. Are all T56 trannys notchy? Meaning it takes a little energy to shift especially second to third. I have never had any experience with driving these 6 speeds. It seems the T5 is quicker to get in gear with less effort.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 5.7L Supercharged
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.70
I guess I can answer this question since I have both shifters for my t-56 and even had a t-5 with a B&M ripper in my car before.

Simple answer is there really is no difference between the two for shifting, all though I did like the B&M one little better. I even tried using the Luis Short Stick with the pro 5.0 and I found that didn't help much and made things worse. Both shifters are built pretty good but the pro 5.0 is a heavy duty piece, much more then you really need IMO but the handle really pisses me off. First the bolts for the handle come loose all the time so you will need to lock tight it and it's god damn ugly. If you like to have your handle showing then this shifter is not for you, it's made to be covered up like in the 4th gens cars not how it is in the 3rd gens. This is where the B&M shines, handle is a nice aluminum piece and is a equal thickness all the way through.

As for all t-56 trannys being notchy, I can't say for sure since I really only been in 2 cars with this tranny but yeah from what I have seen they are. My t-5 at the time blows this tranny away when it comes to shifting especially when I had the B&M ripper in it, powershifting was no problem before now I would be scared to try it with this tranny. I'am a big guy so it's really no problem for me to go from 2nd to 5th, the gears are so close together, nothing like how it was with the t-5.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
I don't know what you mean "notchy". But then I'm new to stick shift cars, since I only recently started driving them, in about 73 or so; so maybe I have a thing or 2 to learn when I grow up?

The T-5 is VERY EASY to shift compared to any other supposedly V8 transmission I've ever had (which is only a few; besides a gob of T-5s, I've only had about 15 or 20 other stick boxes, mostly various Muncies and T-10s and Saginaws and so forth), primarily because all the parts are so small. The T-56 is about 3 times as much machinery as the T-5. The act of shifting is simply more work, period.

The heavier your clutch disc is, the harder it will be to shift; because part of your shifting effort goes toward speeding up or slowing down the disc. Most of it in fact.

I have the Hurst shifter on my T-56. Awesome piece. I got the black handle, since ANYTHING chrome or brushed aluminum looks so stupid and ugly and out of place on these cars. I've seen the chrome one, and to me it looks like something from an alien spaceship fell off and landed in the car. Looks like hammered elephant plop. I can't imagine that the brushed one would blend in any better. However the black Hurst one accepts the factory leather ****, so to look at it, you'd never know anything was different from stock. Very slick-looking install; totally stealth.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
I got the black handle, since ANYTHING chrome or brushed aluminum looks so stupid and ugly and out of place on these cars. I've seen the chrome one, and to me it looks like something from an alien spaceship fell off and landed in the car. Looks like hammered elephant plop. I can't imagine that the brushed one would blend in any better.
It's funny that you say that cause I have a black handle at the moment to and I think it's the most ugliest thing in the car.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Supreme Member

I think it's the most ugliest thing in the car
That IS kind of funny; since the Hurst black handle closely matches the stock black handle, and matches the black console, black ****, black boot, black parking brake lever, etc. etc. etc.

In other words, it looks like it BELONGS there, instead of looking like something foreign got hacked into it.

But hey, everybody has their preference; I guess that's why there's different kinds out there.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Supreme Member

I wish the rest of my interior was BLACK, then my handle wouldn't look so BAD

Ok I'am just screwing with ya now lol
Old 12-08-2006, 08:34 AM
Supreme Member

Well, the ugliest thing in my car, is usually the driver. Nothing else even comes close. I try to keep it that way. If something in my car gets ugly, the driver just has to get EVEN UGLIER. That's The Rule.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Supreme Member

ROFLMAO!
Old 12-08-2006, 06:55 PM

Car: 87 iroc
Engine: 5.7 ZZ4, AFR, Stealth Ram, Comp cam
Transmission: 1993 T56 viper internals w Spec3+
Axle/Gears: moser 9" truetrac 3:89
Well I guess I'm not crazy for thinking that the t56 was hard to shift, seeing as your guys trannys are probably like mine. As far as the clutch it is kinda stiff it's a Spec 3+. I'm sure that does'nt help matters either. Thanks for the feedback as far as the shifters. I will be sticking to the Ripper. Also for the record I'm a fan of the brushed aluminum T handle with the button on it. (for roll control) IMO it's got that bad *** muscle look
Old 12-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Sofa. I needed a good dose of humor to start the day! Lol. I ended up going with a Hurst billet plus on mine for the same reasons. I like how it looks like it belongs in the car, plus I've never had a bad experience running a Hurst shifter. I shied away from the Pro 5.0 because everytime you try to find anything out about them, all you get is "Ford" and "Mustang" crammed down your throat. I've heard even the instructions you get with the F-body version are the same instructions for the Mustang shifter. Plus I gotta agree with Tony that the stick is ugly. Besides, for the money you spend on them, at least Hurst is decent enough to include a damn ****! I suppose you could get a **** for the 5.0, but it'd probably have Ford stamped on it. Lol. As far as notchy shifting goes, 1hotroc needs to take my 69 Camaro for a spin with the external linkage, Hurst shifted Muncie. It's got about the best shifter and linkage setup you can get for that type of trans, and I'll bet that T56 shifts like a dream compared to an old Muncie as far as "notchiness" is concerned!
Old 12-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Pat Hall
I shied away from the Pro 5.0 because everytime you try to find anything out about them, all you get is "Ford" and "Mustang" crammed down your throat. I've heard even the instructions you get with the F-body version are the same instructions for the Mustang shifter.
Yeah when I opened my pro 5.0 box and looked inside only to find mustang instructions I screemed out "you mother ****ers" it was a nice F.U. to the f-body community by Pro 5.0
Old 12-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe it was one of your old posts where I read that!
Old 12-09-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: LQ4 6.0L
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.55 8.8
I've never used a Hurst, but my Pro 5.0 is great. Super heavy duty part. The FORD instructions are not so cool!
You guys have me confused about the stick being ugly. Doesn't your boot cover it? I put an o-ring on the stick under the boot to hold it up to the shift ****..never see it.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Supreme Member

It's a pretty tall stick, to me it looks kind of funny to cover it all up. I like the way they did it stock where only half the stick is covered.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:47 PM

Car: 02wrx/88 rs
Engine: 2.0L turbo/nothing yet!
Transmission: 4eat/waiting on a t56
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Whats the best shifter for the T56

sorry if im bringing up an old post but i did use the !

so it looks like the ripper? i might be abler to get one cheap