Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Picture of Correct Water Pump - '88 IROC TPI

Old 08-25-2010, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '90 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI LB9
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Disc Brake LSD
Picture of Correct Water Pump - '88 IROC TPI

Hey Guys,

I need some clarifying what water pump I need for my engine swap. I took a 305 TPI motor out of an '88 IROC and have swapped (after compelet freshen up, new L98 heads, ZZ4 cam) it into my '87 Choo Choo el camino. Swap has gone nice but as with any has some issues and now with the water pump. The one that was on the original motor is long gone and I had a new SBC one in my garage so used it.

The issue I am having now is that the heater outlet nipple on the top of the water pump is in the wrong spot. It needs to be over to the left a bit bacause of the coolant hose that comes down from the throttle body to the block. The motor has the stock serpentine belt setup so the position of the heater hose nipple is critical that it be positioned correctly.

I have been having trouble finding a reasonably priced (you know the deal, at this point funds are tight!) water pump. I found this Cardone one but looks like it has no heater hose outlet:

I put a new radiator in and it has the heater hose connection to the top just below the radiator cap. I don't remember if that connection is the way to connect from the heater core or not? If so, then this is the correct water pump. If not, then I still need to do some checking around.

Any one have a picture of their stock '88 IROC TPI Serpentine water pump/Heater hose setup for my reference?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Bruce
Old 08-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Picture of Correct Water Pump - '88 IROC TPI

The biggest issue you need to keep in mind is that a serpentine belt water pump is REVERSE rotation, whereas all other water pumps are standard rotation. If the water pump that you had 'laying around' is not a reverse rotation pump, then it won't work regardless of where the coolant inlet on the top is, because it won't pump. I don't know if there's a way to tell by looking at the pump - externally they all look the same to me.

A brand new heavy duty water pump from Autozone is only $32 - cheap insurance that you have the right one: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...7_117067_6245_
Old 08-25-2010, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '90 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI LB9
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Disc Brake LSD

Originally Posted by camaronewbie
The biggest issue you need to keep in mind is that a serpentine belt water pump is REVERSE rotation, whereas all other water pumps are standard rotation. If the water pump that you had 'laying around' is not a reverse rotation pump, then it won't work regardless of where the coolant inlet on the top is, because it won't pump. I don't know if there's a way to tell by looking at the pump - externally they all look the same to me.

A brand new heavy duty water pump from Autozone is only $32 - cheap insurance that you have the right one: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...7_117067_6245_

Thanks for the reply and I did forget that the serpentine is reverse rotation. But that said, my issue that I am also looking to get addressed is the heater hose connections. Does the TPI reverse rotation water pump NOT have a heater hose connection to it directly? The other side of the heater ose gets connected to the radiator in the '87-'88 IROC Camaro TPI setups?

I think that is correct but just wanted to make sure.

Feedback is always appreciated.

Bruce
Old 08-25-2010, 09:56 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Check the last post in the following link for pics/part #'s:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cool...-rotation.html

JamesC