Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Power window, goes down, not up.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87' Iroc
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Power window, goes down, not up.

What does that mean? I found this on the interweb:

What is going on is that one side of the wiring is grounding. The wiring applies power to one wire and ground to the other for the window to go up, and reverse on the same wires to go down. What is happening is that the wire that carries the power to go up is somehow grounded and it will give a ground to put the window down, but not power to put it up. This problem may acctually be in the drivers door. You will need a test lamp and an ohm meter to figure this out, but the circuit is somewhat simple so it shouldn't be too difficult.
Not 3rd gen specific, but thought maybe it may still apply. Just don't understand why the window has no problem going down, but it will not go up.

I don't know if I have the stomach to replace the motor/regulator myself....and god only knows how much I'd have to pay someone to do that.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:12 PM

Car: 1993 Z-71 pickup
Engine: Heavily modified 355 on TBI
Transmission: Had a 4L60e. Now a 700R4
Axle/Gears: Bone Stock
Re: Power window, goes down, not up.

I just experienced the same on a ford expedition. The window would go down and not up. After testing the switch then relay, the only other suspect was the motor...which it was
Old 08-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Brandon2350
I just experienced the same on a ford expedition. The window would go down and not up. After testing the switch then relay, the only other suspect was the motor...which it was
Freakin electrical. I should convert to manual.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:24 PM

Car: 91`camaro RS
Engine: 5.7l vortec T.B.I.
Transmission: STS 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9bolt-3.27

if you can convert, just change the regulator!! beilieve me,, I was told that changing the motor was hard AND dangerous, it took me twenty mins to change it!! and the part only cost 30-40 clams! take of your door panel, and you can see a big gear looking thing, thats the part that can be dangerous, its on a spring and if you don`t brace it, when you disconnect the regulator that thing will go!!! and if your hand is in there, well you get it!! so what to do?? drill a hole thru the inner door and that said gear and run a nut and bolt thru them holding them together, now that you`ve done that, drill out the 2 rivets that hold the motor in, remove it, and replace with the new one using 2 nut`s and 2 bolts (it`s a good idea to use loc-tite) remove the bolt you used to hold the gear from moving,and bam your done!! twenty minutes and forty clams, beats the almost 3 hundo the dealer ship quoted me!
Old 08-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Supreme Member

I got lucky. First thing I did was pull off the shifter cover and switch the driver switch with the passenger switch and viola, the passenger window went up with no problem.

So yea I guess the contacts just went bad after 20 years. Thats a relief, a quick and cheap fix to get a couple new switches from my chevy dealer.