Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Blown head gasket? Foam in antifreeze,car over heats?

Old 12-18-2004, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Blown head gasket? Foam in antifreeze,car over heats?

A few months ago i noticed what looked like steam coming from my exhaust pipes,not really smoke but more like steam,and drips of water too,clear looking water......Now i noticed my cars been over heating,and i have no heat. So i decided i was gona replace my heater core and thermostat. I pulled off my resovoir cap and saw it looked kind of muddy. Then i took off my radiator cap and saw what looked like a rootbeer float with all the foam and gunk. My car usually idles fine. The foam is dark and so is my antifreeze now.But the dipstick doesnt look like it has bubbles on it.

I tried adding anti freeze and water to see if it might clear up cause i was a little low. After running the car a bit more the water and anti freeze was even foamier and still very chocolatey and looked comparable to a foamy milk shake,or more like that of a rootbeer float. My buddy held his hand on the radiator where the cap goes and said he felt the air having suction and not pushing pressure. I also noticed a little more steam than usuall and more water dripping than usuall from the exhaust pipes?

Anyone please help!!!!

Last edited by TPI86TA; 12-18-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: Built 406ci
Transmission: 700R4 w/3000 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Torsen Posi, Moser Axles
Yep, blown head gasket and or warped heads if you overheated bad enough as I did to my original motor. That's exactly what you'll see. Pull the heads have them checked for straightness and go from there. Good luck, hopefully you didn't cause alot of damage, mine I completely cooked, BBR, burned beyond reconigtion. Warped both heads, seized a couple of main bearings after enough coolant got into the crankcase, basiclly it was toast.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:30 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Formy droptop/88 Deville
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: factory RWD, WS6 susp
I have what appears to be steam shooting out when running real warm to hot, near the 220 middle zone on the guage... It steams like a blown waterpump gasket I had prior on my Cadillac, but the lower portion of my heads, unlike yours, seem good. My waterpump is completely rusted in appearence but the weep hole appears to be dry... not sure it's exact location.
I have an L98 and my oil seems fine. I'm not sure why I have antifreeze leaking from a valvecover seam. My mechanic has said the gasket were in bad shape and the heads need a machine shop checkup to confirm any other problems. I'll be tackling this likely in February with my profit sharing, but anything I can do in the time being, now that's it's frigid and finally snowing, I may try...lotsa fun
BILL
Old 12-22-2004, 06:22 PM

Car: 88GTAnotchbac/91 -Z/66 Chevelle
Engine: All strokers
Transmission: Pro built 700r4's
That doesnt mean you have a blown head gasket..

Are you loosing any coolant ?? Do you have water in your oil ?? if you did you would know it because your oil would look like choclate milk and it would measure very high above your full mark. meaning that when your head gasket does blow the water that flows around your heads is now flowing into your oil..
Old 12-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Supreme Member

Trans fluid and oil seems fine on me, but I will likely get the water pump addressed as well in the not too distant future. It's major cold now so keeping travel very limited... biking as well hehe
Bill
Old 12-23-2004, 03:36 PM

Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
My oil level is perfectly fine and my oil looks perfectly fine also. A buddy of mine told me he thinks it looks like i need a coolant flush really really bad. He said it looks more like gunk in my coolant. I think ill try that and see what happens. Can i do the coolant flush myself or should i have someone do it using high pressure?....Thanks
Old 12-23-2004, 05:35 PM

Car: 88GTAnotchbac/91 -Z/66 Chevelle
Engine: All strokers
Transmission: Pro built 700r4's
Well seems like I would do it two or three time if your just going to be doing it from your radiator..
But it sounds like you may have neglected your coolant for some time..
I helped a buddy with a similair problem as yours and we poured 2 cans of that radiator flush in his car drove it till it got hot then got his car on ramps and pulled bothe his knock sensor and then the plug on the opposite side of his block and flushed the block with high pressure and a bunch of junk and slugde ran out for at least 5 minutes on each side then we flushed his radiator.
He drove his car for a week and we flushed his radiator again before it started to look clear finally.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:46 PM
Supreme Member

I'd heard word-of-mouth JB or Justis Bros has some coolant flush in a can for the DIYer but you can also just run a hose of water thru the radiator while the engine is running and the '****' is open. Leave the AC operating as well, IIRC. I'd been ages since my buddy and me did my '84 Eldo this way, but it's basically the same flush technique for all cars. Then refill the radiator with 50/50, or proper mix antifreeze...leave the cap off initially while running the engine from cool/cold. After there is pressure again, use the overfill resevoir (sp?) to add additional coolant. Mine is leaking from pressure at the heads I assume and after it cools, the leak stops... again, my gaskets require money and a place to do them so I'm in the waiting stage for that... not good, as it's costing me plenty in antifreeze
Bill

Last edited by Bill Speed; 12-24-2004 at 06:49 PM.