Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Car alarm for no power locks? What are my options?

Old 11-18-2003, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 200C
Axle/Gears: 3:73
Car alarm for no power locks? What are my options?

Hey I'd like the security of a security system. I don't have power door locks, so I'm wondering what my options are.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: GM & Jaguar
Engine: Various
Transmission: Various
Axle/Gears: Various
There are 3 options;

A: You could just omit the feature of automatic locking/unlocking doors and stick to the manual key.

B: You could get a kit that would add the feature, however you'd have to remove your door panels and do some work.

C: You could get the solenoids and all the other hardware needed from another 3rd gen in a boneyard and know you have the equipment that will work, and it'd be cheap, too! That's what I'd do.

The auto lock/unlock is great, I haven't used my door key in months. Also, if the car is "disturbed", it will relock the doors. So if someone pops the lock it will relock itself
Old 11-19-2003, 08:31 AM

go with the kits that have the power lock/unlock feature as options...most do nowadays...You can get the door lock actuators very cheap on ebay which includes all the solenoids etc that you will need.If you are planning on doing it yourself you will be in for some work and a full day to hook everything up mounting wise.If you have a shop do it,many places will either cut you a deal to add that feature and install the actuators or may even include it in the price of a good alarm system if you buy it from them...definately get the power locks though....great feature!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:48 AM

Car: 1987 Pontiac Trans am GTA
Engine: 5.0L
Transmission: Dead 700r4
v

Last edited by 87 GTA TPI; 11-21-2003 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
If you don't want power locks, it doesn't matter. You can use any alarm you want, either way. I don't have power door locks on my car, just power windows- and I don't want power door locks, either.

Any of you guys ever wonder what happens when you walk up to your car, disarm it, both doors unlock, and a big mean gunman swings open your passenger door as you get into the driver's side?

Just curious. I installed an alarm for a friend who asked me just to make her driver's side door unlock, using the second button on the remote. But, the doors would always lock when she armed the alarm.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
I agree with above posts.

get something good, these cars are easy to steal!

install this system 'trick', I would recomend a high quality professional shop that knows what they are doing, if you can't do it yourself. Some shops have so-called pro's who aren't even MECP certified (very easy cert btw) payed minimum wages and have distroted ideas of practical wiring. There are good installers, however, find out who they are.

conventional installations can be disarmed by experienced thieves, hide your whole system well, don't tap directly from the ignition switch, use wire loom and make it all very inconspicous. it may seem like lots of trouble, but insurance companies will never compensate your car's value (thirgens have much higher trade worth than bluebook)

use multiple starter and engine diabling relays, multiple relays for multiple horns and loud sirenes.

my next alarm system for my 3000 GT will consist of a wireless camera, pager, a bat with nails through it and a 12 gauge in case they run! I HATE THIEVES!!!!
Old 11-23-2003, 08:59 PM

Car: 87 iroc-z ba boom!
Engine: V8 305 ( dont be fooled) =]
Transmission: TH-700R4 beefed up
i have an alarm system that is easy to install in a matter of a 30 mins. its called the W.A.S.P. alarm system....and its basically a alarm by itself where you dont have to connect it to any of your power lock wiring or where your lights flicker. just connect the power wire to the interior lighting this way the only way it is set off is buy you opening the door and once the interior light comes on...it sets it off. but the down fall is that you have to press the power lock buttons your self to lock and unlock the doors so dont forget to lock the doors or your car is gone! i grounded the wire to my shock tower on the driver side under the hood and also thats where i snugg fit the alarm with no problem.......then i ran the power wire to the fuse panel and connected the power wire to the mini add a circuit that i bought at pep boys....and then connected the mini add a circuit to one of the fuse slots that works the interior lights.....oh and dont forget the little flashing light that tells you its armed but im not goin to explain that part except that the best place for that is right in the middle of the center console where your power window buttons would be and there you go its done. now you set your alarm the way you want with 2 remote key entries. it has a few different settings....one is for standard alarm and the other features are the 3 sensitivity settings. now if you want suttin way more secure than that alarm than this isnt for your car and one more thing the alarm system i bought at pep boys for 70 bucks and thats not bad. :hail:

Last edited by whytspeeddevil; 11-23-2003 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:56 AM

Car: See pic above
Engine: Too Small
Transmission: Broken
Originally posted by TomP

Just curious. I installed an alarm for a friend who asked me just to make her driver's side door unlock, using the second button on the remote. But, the doors would always lock when she armed the alarm.
Tom, a lot of the newer cars use a double pulse system where the first pulse unlocks the driver's door and the second unlocks the remaining doors. If the car is not equipped with this feature, then some rewiring/additional components are needed. It's not practical to use the second channel to do this. If you unlock the drivers door w/o disarming the alarm, then it will go off as soon as you open the door. If her alarm did not support the two pulse system, you're pretty much out of luck.

You can get the door lock actuators very cheap on ebay which includes all the solenoids etc that you will need.If you are planning on doing it yourself you will be in for some work and a full day to hook everything up mounting wise.If you have a shop do it,many places will either cut you a deal to add that feature and install the actuators or may even include it in the price of a good alarm system if you buy it from them...definately get the power locks though....great feature!
I would be wary of some of the actuators sold on ebay. My brother bought some cheap ones so that he could convert to power locks when I installed his alarm. The actuators that we got did not have enough power to full extend. As a result, his doors would lock, but then not unlock because the actuator could not push the rod far enough.

I'll second the suggestion of a non-traditional installation. Most installers put the alarm brain and valet button in the drivers kick panel or attach it to the steering column. All that has to be done to disarm most alarms is to unplug the brain. Those handy ignition kill relays are installed in such a way that if the system fails the car can still be started. A backup battery on the siren can avoid some of this. But what it really comes down to is if a proffesional thief wants your car, he's gonna take it. Alarms are to discourage teenagers from messing with your car when it's in your driveway, not to stop a pro. That's why I have another $3K of insurance on my car, just for the stuff inside it.