Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

th700r shifting problems

Old 10-09-2003, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
th700r shifting problems

i have a 84 firebird with a 2.8 in it. i just finished a rebuild on the engine that did away with all the computer controls on the carb and distributor. I changed alot of things on the motor, cam, timing chain, lifters, rockers, intake carb distributor and some other minor things. all the parts i used were high performance parts that i order from jegs specificly for this motor, the motor runs great now and seems to have tons of power but the tranny wont let it show through.
when taking of it will launch for a split sec then shift and the rpms will stay around 3,000 even though my foot is to the floor. They will climb but very slowly and it seems the tranny cant pick a gear. this trany had a rebuild on it less the 2000 miles ago. I tried adjusting the tvs cable since it is now located on the drivers side instead of the passengers, this didnt do much if anything.
I have been told it could be any number of things but cant determine which one it realy is. Ive been told the cam isnt giving the tranny enough vaccum to operate corectly. ive been told that the tvs cable is making it do this. ive been told that the tranny is run by the computer in the car wich is no longer controlling the car, as far as i no my t ranny isnt electricly operated but i may be wrong , it is a stock 84 th700r and the last thing ive been told is the the tranny is just NFG and needs to be junked and a 5 speed put in.
sorry for such a long post and any help on this is greatly appreciated as i am lost with this one guys. the car sounds mean and i want to prove it .
Old 10-09-2003, 06:53 PM

The 700-R4 is not controlled electronically, but the Torque Converter Lockup is controlled electronically. But it shouldn't have made a difference like that. Only thing left to check is the governor, the plastic gear maybe stripped. Can you shift manually?? Try that too. The governor is what controls the shifts. It might not have been replaced when the trans was rebuild. Buy a new one and put it in.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:18 PM

as far as this governer goes , what exactly does it do and were is it located and how hard is it to get at? i ordered a b&m shift kit along with the b&M kickdown plunger and a new tvs cable, do you think any of this stop is good or will help clear up my troubles?
Old 10-11-2003, 01:12 PM

the governor is located on the drivers side of the transmission behind a large black dome. Its round. To get the cover off, you get a punch (like a chisel but its flat and round on the bottom) and you hit the edges with a hammer until the cover pops off. Fluid will go all over the place when you get it off. the governor is inside there to get it out you turn it and it should come out easy. What it does is it makes the trans shift with a variety of weights and springs and they cause the trans to shift at certain road speeds. When you install lighter weights and springs, you get higher points, lower points are achieved with heavier weights and springs. It is a huge pain in the *** only because you have to keep trying until you get it right. It is trial and error. THe pastic gear at the end of the governor is what is probably broken and you can just get a replacement governor and you will be ok to use the new one. THe plastic gear wears out over time. I'm sure that is what your problem is. You can put all the new parts you got on too, they will all help the trans. a new governor is like $20 if you get it from the right place. Some dealerships rip you off. So look onlne first. Or try a wholesale ac delco parts place. Don't lket anyone tell you that the governor is not ac delco because it IS they should have it.