V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

'90-92 V6 (Auto) Vacuum Hose Routing Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'90-92 V6 (Auto) Vacuum Hose Routing Diagram

I would really appreciate it if anyone could post or e-mail me a vacuum hose diagram for a camaro or firebird (90-92 V6 Auto). GM doesn't carry them anymore and a Classic Industries only has them for '89s. I'm assuming the 90-92 would be different than the '89 on account of the 90-92 using electronic EGR and speed density. Right?? ThanX in advance.:hail:
Old 03-22-2003, 10:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Chiltons would have that diagram.
You're right about the 91-92 being different. And that F body is a stand alone design, unlike a FWD 3.1.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:16 PM

KED, I have the Helm's, Chilton and Haynes manuals, none of them have the diagram. See my predicament? If you have any other ideas please let me know, I sure could use some help with this one.
The following users liked this post:
Jockeyjohnny (04-10-2024)
Old 03-23-2003, 07:05 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Originally posted by zoomzoom
KED, I have the Helm's, Chilton and Haynes manuals, none of them have the diagram. See my predicament? If you have any other ideas please let me know, I sure could use some help with this one.
I have a '92 with the diagram. Problem is that the wire on the web cam won't reach the garage, no pic.

So, how may I help? Is there a particular vac line in question? A fitting perhaps. I can go look and get back to ya.

RBob.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:03 PM

RBob, thanks for extending a helping hand. As stated above my engine is a ‘90 model year so I’m hoping that the vacuum connections would be the same as your ’92. I’m doing an engine/trans swap from carbed 2.8 to injected, fully emission compliant 3.1 and my replacement engine had most of the vacuum lines missing or broken off.

So here it goes:

1) In back of the Throttle Body there are two plastic lines one is thicker than the other.
A) The thinner one runs down to a “T”, what do those two lines coming of the “T”connect to?
B) The thicker one goes in the direction of the EGR valve, what does it connect to?

2) On the back of the Air Plenum there is a metal “T” fitting with one small and one large nipple coming out of it, I’m guessing the large one goes to the power brakes, how about the smaller one?

3) There is a vacuum line that comes out of the firewall and provides vacuum to the climate controls in the dashboard, where does it connect to on the engine (not the one that connects to the heater valve, the other one).

4) Where does the Fuel Pressure Regulator vacuum line connect to?

5) The Charcoal Canister: Three nipples on it, my guess: (please correct or confirm)
A) The one labeled “AIR”: can just leave open, unconnected to anything.
B) The one labeled “Tank”: Rubber hose to 45° “T” to small & big nipples on (same side of) Fuel Tank Pressure Control Valve. From the opposite side of the Fuel Tank Pressure Control Valve it would run to the fuel tank
C) The one labeled “Purge”: Goes to engine vacuum. (But where exactly?)

Any other ones that I might have missed?? Also, I noticed that you live in Southern Cal, (I live close to Temecula) do you know of any really good custom exhaust shops, one that can do mandrel bends and good welding? I don’t care if I have to drive 75 miles or how pricey they might be, I just want someone that can do really good work and not butcher things up.

ThanX for your time and help.

:hail: :hail: :hail:
Old 03-23-2003, 03:30 PM

RBob, thanks for extending a helping hand. As stated above my engine is a ‘90 model year so I’m hoping that the vacuum connections would be the same as your ’92. I’m doing an engine/trans swap from carbed 2.8 to injected, fully emission compliant 3.1 and my replacement engine had most of the vacuum lines missing or broken off.

So here it goes:

1) In back of the Throttle Body there are two plastic lines one is thicker than the other.
A) The thinner one runs down to a “T”, what do those two lines coming of the “T”connect to?
B) The thicker one goes in the direction of the EGR valve, what does it connect to?

2) On the back of the Air Plenum there is a metal “T” fitting with one small and one large nipple coming out of it, I’m guessing the large one goes to the power brakes, how about the smaller one?

3) There is a vacuum line that comes out of the firewall and provides vacuum to the climate controls in the dashboard, where does it connect to on the engine (not the one that connects to the heater valve, the other one).

4) Where does the Fuel Pressure Regulator vacuum line connect to?

5) The Charcoal Canister: Three nipples on it, my guess: (please correct or confirm)
A) The one labeled “AIR”: can just leave open, unconnected to anything.
B) The one labeled “Tank”: Rubber hose to 45° “T” to small & big nipples on (same side of) Fuel Tank Pressure Control Valve. From the opposite side of the Fuel Tank Pressure Control Valve it would run to the fuel tank
C) The one labeled “Purge”: Goes to engine vacuum. (But where exactly?)

Any other ones that I might have missed?? Also, I noticed that you live in Southern Cal, (I live close to Temecula) do you know of any really good custom exhaust shops, one that can do mandrel bends and good welding? I don’t care if I have to drive 75 miles or how pricey they might be, I just want someone that can do really good work and not butcher things up.

ThanX for your time and help.

:hail: :hail: :hail:
1A) from the T one goes to the fuel pressure regulator (~ 2" away) and the other drops down the front of the engine to the air pump.

1B) A rubber hose connects to the plastic tube (at the coil/egr). The hose runs along the top of the inner fender to the PURGE on the charcoal cannister.

2) Yes, big tube to power brakes.

Small tube: out of manifold (~1/8" ID hose) to a one-way check valve (small plastic one) to a T.
The leg of the T goes along firewall then forward along drivers inner fender to another T at front of washer bottle. One end goes to the cruise control unit, other end of T goes to vacuum storage ball inside of fender.

(Another vac line (9/32") comes out of cruise control and into harness.).

(Back to the T after the check valve): The arm of the T goes into the harness behind the engine on pass side. At this same place a vac line comes out of the harness and goes to the water valve for the heater.

3) see 2 above.

4) see 1A above.

5A) The one labeled AIR has a line on it that goes straight to the fender. There is a T with two pieces of line, one goes up under the fender, other goes down to a clamp on bottom of fender. Both are open ended. (This whole thing is inside of the fender).

5B) Yes, runs to fuel tank. There is a metal fuel line right there off of the frame rail. Has the control valve and 45 fitting between the cannister & tank line.

5C) see 1B above.

The manual has a decent schematic of the CCP system if that helps. It might also be a good bet to swap in a newer fuel tank.

Only other vac line is also off the back of the intake plenum, to the pass side of the one in #2. This goes to the MAP sensor which is mounted to the cowling between the tranny dipstick and the A/C stuff.

I'm on the other coast, I'll let Karl handle the exhaust question.

RBob.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:11 PM

Thank you Sir, you are a Gentleman and a Scholar.

Old 03-23-2003, 08:06 PM

Thank you Sir, you are a Gentleman and a Scholar.

Your welcome. That is an ambitious project you have going. I'm sure you will like the results.

RBob.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:29 PM

Yeah, it actually has been a lot more work than I thought, I'll post pictures when I'm done. Hopefully in about two months. Most of the hard stuff is already done.

At the risk of being booted out of the forum all I'm going to say for now is that the motor isn't exactly going into an obvious recipient (hence the xtra-xtra hard work).

I'm really trying to do the swap as if the '90 3.1 was factory installed. I hate butcher jobs & I need this thing to be 100% reliable, I'm planning on using it to travel the country for the next couple of years....the only place to do repairs will be the great outdoors!

ThanX again.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

Not knowing where ya at,
I can only offer this...
Kragen, Santa Monica CA.
AHHH CHOO
Opps I cracked open the seal on the large Chiltons shop manual for 3rd gen F Bodies.
I checked the emission diagrams that were inside.
All years were present. 82-92.
I saw all these examples.
I discovered then that my 1985 is a one year stand alone vacuum hose design.
Other suggestion, go to a GM dealer, give the parts guy a brew, ask him to print out the PVC set up for the engine you are working on.
That will help, also.
Make sure you also get the pages with part numbers, too.
Sorry couldn't offer more help for ya.
PS having the Helms books too, you'd think they insert diagram pics for that publication.
NOPE!
I know I having the Helms for my 85 Blazer & my 85 Firebird.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:31 AM

Re: '90-92 V6 (Auto) Vacuum Hose Routing Diagram

Thanks for this; HOWEVER - there is one more question!!!
Where does the vacuum line to the brake switch go??

Can you share a COMPLETE vacuum line schematic for the Cruise control from an 85 IROC?

THANKS!

KT

Originally Posted by RBob
1A) from the T one goes to the fuel pressure regulator (~ 2" away) and the other drops down the front of the engine to the air pump.

1B) A rubber hose connects to the plastic tube (at the coil/egr). The hose runs along the top of the inner fender to the PURGE on the charcoal cannister.

2) Yes, big tube to power brakes.

Small tube: out of manifold (~1/8" ID hose) to a one-way check valve (small plastic one) to a T.
The leg of the T goes along firewall then forward along drivers inner fender to another T at front of washer bottle. One end goes to the cruise control unit, other end of T goes to vacuum storage ball inside of fender.

(Another vac line (9/32") comes out of cruise control and into harness.).

(Back to the T after the check valve): The arm of the T goes into the harness behind the engine on pass side. At this same place a vac line comes out of the harness and goes to the water valve for the heater.

3) see 2 above.

4) see 1A above.

5A) The one labeled AIR has a line on it that goes straight to the fender. There is a T with two pieces of line, one goes up under the fender, other goes down to a clamp on bottom of fender. Both are open ended. (This whole thing is inside of the fender).

5B) Yes, runs to fuel tank. There is a metal fuel line right there off of the frame rail. Has the control valve and 45 fitting between the cannister & tank line.

5C) see 1B above.

The manual has a decent schematic of the CCP system if that helps. It might also be a good bet to swap in a newer fuel tank.

Only other vac line is also off the back of the intake plenum, to the pass side of the one in #2. This goes to the MAP sensor which is mounted to the cowling between the tranny dipstick and the A/C stuff.

I'm on the other coast, I'll let Karl handle the exhaust question.

RBob.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Re: '90-92 V6 (Auto) Vacuum Hose Routing Diagram

That vacuum line to the brake switch runs straight to the cruise control modulator as is mentioned in the second part of RBob's #2. It's the brake switch vacuum release line for the cruise modulator. That harness runs through a grommet in the bulkhead straight to the modulator and to the rest of the cruise harness under the dash (cruise control has a completely independent harness similar to the later models' air bag harness).

There really isn't a vacuum diagram for the cruise control as it only has the engine vacuum input and the brake switch output...