V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Turbo 3800 Series II into my IROC

Old 04-21-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: T5
Re: Turbo 3800 Series II into my IROC

Hmm well, I installed it and after checking every single hole it one went in one way. Interesting you mention the torque angle wrench. I read quite a few posts on it and most came to the conclusion you didn't need it. There were some that talked about needing it, but not many. Oh well I guess we will find out, since it's already installed.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is I installed mine wrong and it vibrated the living **** out of my car felt in seats and floor boards. Try to start without trans

Originally Posted by Drkhrse89
Hmm well, I installed it and after checking every single hole it one went in one way. Interesting you mention the torque angle wrench. I read quite a few posts on it and most came to the conclusion you didn't need it. There were some that talked about needing it, but not many. Oh well I guess we will find out, since it's already installed.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:08 AM

Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:23 Torsen 4th gen rear

what a cool build, will this thing be ready for carcraft this year?
Old 04-23-2014, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffs82TA
All I can say is I installed mine wrong and it vibrated the living **** out of my car felt in seats and floor boards. Try to start without trans
Thanks for the heads up, I really appreciate it. I am planning on starting it before I drop it to the ground, so if I do have the vibration I will be able to fix it right away. Funny thing is I have not read a lick about having troubles with installing this flywheel. You are the only one that has brought it up. It's good to have people that have done this before looking out for you.

Originally Posted by 89blues
what a cool build, will this thing be ready for carcraft this year?
Thanks. I am having quite a bit of fun with it. I am pushing for it, but I have a fear that it will not be. I still have about $1K worth of stuff to buy and I am running out of funds quickly. However, with you living in Chanhassen you are more than happy to swing by and take a look at it. I try to work on it every night after work for a little bit. My weekends are taken up with family activities so not much gets accomplished then.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I really appreciate it. I am planning on starting it before I drop it to the ground, so if I do have the vibration I will be able to fix it right away. Funny thing is I have not read a lick about having troubles with installing this flywheel. You are the only one that has brought it up. It's good to have people that have done this before looking out for you.

Thanks. I am having quite a bit of fun with it. I am pushing for it, but I have a fear that it will not be. I still have about $1K worth of stuff to buy and I am running out of funds quickly. However, with you living in Chanhassen you are more than happy to swing by and take a look at it. I try to work on it every night after work for a little bit. My weekends are taken up with family activities so not much gets accomplished then.

I may take you up on that one night, I too am doing some work to mine for carcraft (cam swap, intake, brakes). Are you going to try to do the tuning yourself or bring it to TPIS?
Old 04-23-2014, 07:18 PM

What I found on mine is what makes it possible to position it wrong is some bolts can be just a little hard to start but they will go in. If you visually eyed every hole and they were perfectly centered then you should be fine.

Another weird issue I had with mine was the clutch line at slave. It has some kind of valve in it anyways if it sticks you can press clutch pedal all day and no fluid will pass through valve and will seem like bad clutch master cylinder. That had me scratching head for a day and even replaced master lol.

If your 3800 has no known history change plenum and intake gaskets they are notorious for leaks.

If it was sitting for quite awhile expect lifter tapping. I parked mine for 4 months and it always clattered for first 10 minutes then out of the blue it stopped doing it and never done it again.

P0102 Maf code when you get it the only cure is new maf don't drive car if it did what mine did it will jerk the car violently almost to point feels like drive train will self destruct. P0102 is only lightly noticeable on a automatic so not sure why that is.

Also watch for CTS wire chaffing where wires pass through loop thing on throttle body you will get a p0105 and extreme unexpected high idling in the 3500 rpm range. Also car will try and run at 60mph without touching gas pedal.

Make sure you replace fuel pressure regulator another notorious problem.

Crack egr tube from Egr pedestal to intake manifold they crack and will cause lean condition on both o2 sensors.

Make sure you use bleed screw when doing coolant air pocket in 3800 can spell disaster.

These are issues I have dealt with on both my 97 3800's
Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 PM

Oh and if plug wires have heat shields on boots remove them. They are a known cause of miss fires by allowing spark to arc to exhaust manifolds. Also the early 96-98 3800 manifolds were notorious for killing plug wires. First sign will be miss fire and when you try and touch plug wire near manifold chances are good it will break in half.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:38 PM

What I found on mine is what makes it possible to position it wrong is some bolts can be just a little hard to start but they will go in. If you visually eyed every hole and they were perfectly centered then you should be fine.

That is exactly what I did. I also tested every bolt to make sure I could start it by hand. If I couldn't then I moved the flywheel. It sounds like I have that covered.

Another weird issue I had with mine was the clutch line at slave. It has some kind of valve in it anyways if it sticks you can press clutch pedal all day and no fluid will pass through valve and will seem like bad clutch master cylinder. That had me scratching head for a day and even replaced master lol.

Good to know. Luckily I have a clutch and line that are off a known running car and the clutch line has had the drill mod done to it. I should be covered there as will, but I will find out soon enough. I am glad I did a remote bleeder, so it will be easy to fix a potential fluid issue.

If your 3800 has no known history change plenum and intake gaskets they are notorious for leaks.

That was the first thing I checked. They have been swapped out. I plan on doing some port work to the heads, LIM, and UIM so they will be swapped out again.

If it was sitting for quite awhile expect lifter tapping. I parked mine for 4 months and it always clattered for first 10 minutes then out of the blue it stopped doing it and never done it again.

Thanks for the heads up. It has been sitting for a while and it would have pissed me off to no end if I heard that.

P0102 Maf code when you get it the only cure is new maf don't drive car if it did what mine did it will jerk the car violently almost to point feels like drive train will self destruct. P0102 is only lightly noticeable on a automatic so not sure why that is.

Going to the Megasquirt and SD, so no need to worry about the MAF.

Also watch for CTS wire chaffing where wires pass through loop thing on throttle body you will get a p0105 and extreme unexpected high idling in the 3500 rpm range. Also car will try and run at 60mph without touching gas pedal.

Again with the MS II I have a custom harness that should take care of this issue.

Make sure you replace fuel pressure regulator another notorious problem.

Brand new. I didn't trust it at all and instantly replaced it.

Crack egr tube from Egr pedestal to intake manifold they crack and will cause lean condition on both o2 sensors.

Thank you very much. I will check on this before I even start it up. Do you know if there is a newer version that will alleviate this issue, kind of like the heater core elbows?

Make sure you use bleed screw when doing coolant air pocket in 3800 can spell disaster.

Note taken. Thank you.

These are issues I have dealt with on both my 97 3800's
Oh and if plug wires have heat shields on boots remove them. They are a known cause of miss fires by allowing spark to arc to exhaust manifolds. Also the early 96-98 3800 manifolds were notorious for killing plug wires. First sign will be miss fire and when you try and touch plug wire near manifold chances are good it will break in half.
Heat shields are actually gone and I did not plan on putting them back on. I am planning on wrapping everything up since there will be quite a bit of added heat under the hood. I know for a fact my manifolds are off of those 3800s.

Again your information is fantastic and will help me avoid a lot of headaches.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:11 PM

The egr pipes to my knowledge only way to fix is buy good used one or new or plug the system.

How much you want for the maf? Is it good? I need one for mine
Old 04-25-2014, 12:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am, 84 Fiero, 86 944
Engine: 5.0, 2.5, 2.5
Transmission: 5spd

all in favor of swapping v8 to v6, sub'd
Old 04-25-2014, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the info. I will figure out what I want to do. I will probably delete it, so it is one less thing to worry about.

I would be willing to sell the one I currently have, it was a running engine when I bought it so it should be good. Of course if you take it off my hands and doesn't work I will refund your money, no hard feelings. No clue what they are worth so spit out an offer.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:56 PM

Laziness has been in my blood recently. Life has been way more important than working on my car. I have 2" v-bands on the way for the manifolds and will try to get those welded on as soon as I can.

I also have the intercooler on order 26X11X3 bar and plate with 2.5" in/out. I plan on mounting that in the area behind where the fog lights were and in front of the two little crossbars. As you can see with my awesome paper template.

IMG_20140506_183137_931.jpg?t=1399578790

It is highly unlikely life will slow down for me, so hopefully my motivation will return.

Last edited by Drkhrse89; 05-08-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:39 PM

Drkhrse

If you did not buy a new quality slave and trow out bearing do now lol my auto zone one destructed and wrecked havoc.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:35 PM

notebook paper? If you are hurting that bad for cardboard i'm sure I could loan you some!

I wonder if this thing will be faster than my iron pig L98
Old 05-15-2014, 03:15 PM

Drkhrse

If you did not buy a new quality slave and trow out bearing do now lol my auto zone one destructed and wrecked havoc.
I got the AC Delco replacement. I decided to spend the money on that one versus going with a knockoff.

Originally Posted by 89blues
notebook paper? If you are hurting that bad for cardboard i'm sure I could loan you some!

I wonder if this thing will be faster than my iron pig L98
Are you making fun of my template? Actually, the wife threw out all of the cardboard so that is all I had to work with. I only needed to get an idea of sizing anyway. I better be faster than your pig, if not I will just turn the boost up.

Small update, I got my intercooler in as well as my v-bands for the manifolds.

I tried to get my transmission in last night and ended up running into a problem. The motor is set so far back that the bellhousing is hitting the transmission tunnel, so I am not able to get the input shaft centered into the pilot bushing. Tonight I am going to throw a jack under my crank pulley to try and drop the rear of the engine low enough to get it connected. Hopefully that will work.

Another thing, I found out my car was in a front end collision and the front of the drivers side framerail is bent up. Explains why I have been having problems with a few things. I have owned the car forever, but have never pulled it apart this far.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:36 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS, 1991 Firebird
Engine: None, 3.1l LH0 V6
Transmission: None, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open, 3.23 Open

Subscribed, and excited to see the results! I wanted to do this swap for my 1991 RS, but now I feel a little more inclined to do it! I found a perfect parts car at the junkyard! It had the engine, harness, trans, rear axle with LSD, and everything! Good luck!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:38 AM

Have you got anywhere on this recently ? I just picked up a 1991 buick lesabre with a 3.8 in it and I'm planning on putting it in my '92 RS. I will be going with the 200r4 though. Also, do u know of any place to buy the motor mounts or are they strictly fabricate parts ?
Old 07-21-2014, 04:19 PM

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L
Transmission: Manual T5
Axle/Gears: Stock

Subscribe
Old 07-24-2014, 03:31 PM

I have my transmission mounted and that is all the further I have gotten. I have a labral tear in my hip, so sitting, standing, walking, etc. is extremely painful. I am slated to have surgery soon, so I will get back on it after that is done along with the up to 12 months of physical therapy. Hopefully I will be able to knock out some small things here and there, like my turbo manifolds.

The mounts are custom, no one makes them for this type of swap. If you need any pictures of anything just let me know and I will gladly snap some.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:41 AM

Car: 2006 Cobalt SS/SC
Engine: LSJ
Transmission: F35 MU3
Axle/Gears: 4.05

I have my transmission mounted and that is all the further I have gotten. I have a labral tear in my hip, so sitting, standing, walking, etc. is extremely painful. I am slated to have surgery soon, so I will get back on it after that is done along with the up to 12 months of physical therapy.
DAMN. That blows. Good luck with your surgery and your PT. I'm hoping everything is successful.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:33 PM

Appreciate that! I am just glad that I am as old as I am and I have the doctor I do. Otherwise I would have to have my whole hip opened up and have my entire socket removed, turned slightly, and bolted back on. That would have been way worse. Right now it is just "simple" arthroscopic surgery.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:39 PM

Drkhrse89, Sorry about your health issue, especially the long recovery period. Sometimes this getting old really sucks!!! I've got age related surgery in about a month. Shorter recovery time than you, but it still sucks.

On the other hand, my doc will only stop me from driving my Firebird for a week to 10 days after the surgery.
Hope all goes well and your wife gets sudden inspiration to finish the turbo for you while you recover.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:03 PM

That would be a feat! If my wife even encouraged me to work on my car I would have to test the temperature outside, because I'm pretty sure hell would have frozen over.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:00 AM

That would be a feat! If my wife even encouraged me to work on my car I would have to test the temperature outside, because I'm pretty sure hell would have frozen over.
LOL LOL LOL LOL Same here!!!
Old 07-24-2015, 08:48 AM

It's time for my yearly update. Having had a torn labrum in my hip for all last year and surgery at the beginning of this year I have not been able to do anything. I am still recovering, but hope to actually accomplish a couple of things this year. I had a line on a hot side, but it ended up being stolen during shipping. So it was back to square one. Luckily I received an email from someone I had purchased the majority of my parts from and he had left over headers, crossover, and downpipe from his build. He gave me an incredible deal, so I took it. Here they are mocked up. I should have it permanently mounted this weekend. I can then mount the turbo and get an idea of the cold side.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Came out sweet! Nice welds...
Old 04-13-2017, 08:07 AM

Car: 1987 Camaro, 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: cammed 2.8, turbo 3.1 hybrid
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 one tire fire

How goes this build im getting a 3800 for my berlinetta roller this is a pretty beast build
Old 05-21-2017, 05:26 PM
LDR

Car: 2012 Impala ltz 1988 Gta project

What came of this
Old 10-04-2017, 02:53 PM

Car: 92 Formula 350
Engine: L98 with a T-76
Transmission: ArtCarr 700-R4
Axle/Gears: Bone stock 10bolt and 3.23's

I'm curious how this is going as well, i love me some 3800 powered stuff
Old 06-19-2018, 09:36 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: LS1

Just found your post by trying to do some research on the 3800 swap so I knew what I was getting into. Drkhrse89 and I have worked out a deal to get this ball rolling again. I'll be taking over the car and finishing it up. I am a Master Tech. by trade so from the sound and look of it, it shouldn't take too long. Once I have the car in my garage I'll give it a once over and get the updates rolling again on here once more. Feels good to come back to these forums once again!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=Jeffs82TA;5733993]a L-36 3800 can be split in half ..... I don't know what caused it. I bought the 97 firebird with the engine like this. It never had boost, or sprayed or raced.

Head over to grandprixforum.com, those guys claim more than 600 hp on the stock short block. The L36 is fairly stout, consider heading over to Intense or ZZPerformance for better pistons, and if you're pulling it apart the 2004+ heads and rods are better.
If you haven't already invested in Megasquirt, a 98-03 Computer and harness from a Grand Prix/Bonneville/Impala/other can be trimmed down to run the engine stand-alone, and both Intense and ZZP offer tuning for engine swaps, i.e. deleting EGR/cats/auto trans and whatever else.

I've owned a GTP for going on three years now. I've done a cam, headers, pulley drop, should be good for 350 hp or so in the current tune. I'll be swapping the whole thing into my 88 Camaro RS in the near future. I plan to salvage everything that I can from the Prix to minimize my cash outlay for the project.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by STRYKER
Have you got anywhere on this recently ? I just picked up a 1991 buick lesabre with a 3.8 in it and I'm planning on putting it in my '92 RS. I will be going with the 200r4 though. Also, do u know of any place to buy the motor mounts or are they strictly fabricate parts ?
Hawks sells a tubular k-member for third gens set up with 3800 mounting plates. In theory you will just need the 4th gen engine mounts then. There are some accessory differences between the FWD and RWD applications, such as the AC compressor might be in the way of the driver side mounting bosses.

For what it is worth- the 4T65E found in the 1992+ FWD cars is controlled almost identically to the 4L60E utilized in the 4th gens. A little rewiring *should* allow you to use a donor ECM from a 1995+ car, granting you access to HP Tuners/etc and the more modern transmission.
I'm a long ways away from that point in my swap, but that is my plan (unless a 4th gen T5 comes along CHEAP!)

Last edited by Hotdogstand; 06-29-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: LS1

Digging into the swap and I just don't see it being something I want to tackle. I was hoping more pieces would fall in place but it's even more than I want to take on right now. My goal is to get a V8 into it and just have it running by fall. Anyone interested in what I have let me know and I'll be happy to send it your way.