Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

New Design for Mini Ladder Bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Design for Mini Ladder Bars

So, ive been doing a lot of researching lately, and have come to the solution of modifying an 8.8 mustang rearend for the drivetrain. I rally don't want to weld a torque arm mount on to the pumpkin.... sooo, ive been researching the mini ladder bar option. and from what I understand, is that using pete z bars hook great, but cause anti-squat, and can cause binding in a street ride. from what ive seen, people are using stock lca's with bushings. my thought is to eliminate the bushings, with heim joints. therefore eliminating the binding when the rearend articulates. im just looking for a little helpful criticism on my design. I found a good after market company that makes very strong lca's and panhard bars. Massive racing products? heres the idea im heading for.

New Design for Mini Ladder Bars-mini-ladder-bar-design.jpg
Old 04-16-2014, 06:33 PM

Re: New Design for Mini Ladder Bars

here is the company that sells the lower control arm that I plan on using. from there I will make a channel that is cut for the exact width of the tubular arm. the tube will fit snuggly inside the channel, and then welded in tight

http://massivespeedsystem.com/_massi.../i-341854.aspx
Old 04-17-2014, 12:33 PM

Sorry if the picture link wasn't working
Old 04-17-2014, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

I see 2 problems:
  1. They're not "ladder bars" anymore, which do their job PRECISELY BY binding up the rear as it tries to articulate in ANY direction other than straight up and down, and thereby keep the car pointed in a straight line; and
  2. The instant center needs attention: calculate where it is and tell us what you think. As in, you think you get too much anti-squat with whatever else, you probably won't like what you get with that.
Other than that, ...

I shouldn't call them "problems" though. How about, "opportunities for further research".
Old 04-17-2014, 06:25 PM

so, I would be better off using a bushing style lca, that way the axle wont articulate on takeoffs? I'm just trying to think of a way to make street driving a little more tolerable. its the same exact idea as the pete z bar setup, but allow a little more articulation on the street. and yes, I know the instant center is pretty bad, but I like the way it puts the force the pavement