Alternative Port EFI Intakes This board is for tech discussions and questions about aftermarket port EFI such as the HSR, MR, SR, BBK, FIRST, etc.

FIRST TPI TB Adapter Plate

Old 04-02-2014, 08:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FIRST TPI TB Adapter Plate

Hi,
Having MaxBore.com fab up a 1in spacer/adapter for my FIRST vortec intake. For my own reasons I'm continuing with the use of the original ported TB. This isn't a group buy- just a FYI if you want to add to the order, cost is $150 or if you know somebody cheaper....George will supply a 1 in alum plate with all bolt holes threaded and countersunk and will machine a basic +-2in slot for the GM TB- you will have to finish off with any tapers needed- since the FIRST is square and the GM TB is more 'oval' I see two tapers needed on the horizontal outboard sides TB side. I had George bore out a Toyota TB a few years ago and he did a good job. Ken at FIRST will not fab these. Similar to this-

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/...ml#post5739128

Dave
Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 iroc vert undergoing resto
Engine: 5.0 tpi
Transmission: beefy 700r4 rdeglcltch vetserv t/go
Axle/Gears: g92 b/w
Re: FIRST TPI TB Adapter Plate

Talked to george yesterday he kinda acted like he wanted to complete yours before he took an order i guess to see if he is succesful o or profitable thanks for the lead on someone who is willing to mess with this... keep us updated i think this takes alot of work from this intake swap im definatly getting one if possible
Old 04-17-2014, 12:27 PM

Considering this is based on a GM TPI- would have been nice if it wasn't so stand alone- I'll be adapting the oe fuel rails to this to save more bs.

Dave
Old 04-17-2014, 10:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dfarr67
Considering this is based on a GM TPI- would have been nice if it wasn't so stand alone- I'll be adapting the oe fuel rails to this to save more bs.

Dave
I know what you're saying, but the reason this intake is so much better than the GM TPI is because it is so different. Also, I know others have had a problem with the FIRST throttle body, and understand wanting to keep a more factory look, but I've messed with two FIRSTs so far and not had a problem with the throttle bodies.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:26 AM

Yes, Ken was agitated about my enquiries regarding the TB- but functionality aside- it is so dam ugly and overly complicated, quality wise doesn't come near a properly prepared oe unit- that aside, I want to be able to plug and play as far as cables etc- as soon as I saw how the TPS mounted, that was it for me. In the end I'm looking forward to see if this was worth the price of admission. MaxBore will be making three adapters initially- I don't see a big demand but it is an alternative, machinists locally were not interested.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:01 AM

dfarr67 can u pm me allitle more info (something so he knows that im referring to the plate he is making for you) so I can call George back so i can try and get in on this he seemed alittle hesitant to take an order... i thought he was just doing yours i didn't know he was doing 3... Id like to run cruise and a tv cable.. from what ive read my throttle cable will work... i would really hate to have to rig up hodge podge linkage for the other two... and the iac and tps is a big bonus... im sure the first flows more and im sure it would work. ive just always liked the throttle body as is...... minus coolant heater part whatchamacallit.. and i know for a fact it can idle good with little effort
Old 04-19-2014, 11:48 AM

"I could not find 1" thick plate at a reasonable price. I found 7/8" aluminum plate which is really close to that. The circles you drew on the template, are they accurate? which ones do I drill through for clearance and which ones are tapped? Do I need to counter bore any of them? I bought enough material for 3 adapters so I am making 3 of them, just in case other people might be interested. ------George"

I passed on the link to the adapter plate on TGO here to give George a better feel of what is required- I want to test fit the first one for George before he takes any more orders so people can expect a bolt on- he will provide basic machining- I'm expecting to grind the transitions. BTW I had a Toyota TB bored by him and he does a quality job. I expect to have this in 3 weeks. Just let him know you want in on the adapter plate with Dave Farr.

Dave
Old 04-19-2014, 11:05 PM

thank a lot man ill let him know on Monday...
Old 05-07-2014, 08:26 AM

The work is done, and I am including a picture of it.
The total is $150 as we agreed and $15 to ship it to Canada.
This is the only one I made and there will not be more. It's too time consuming and working on 7/8" thick aluminum is slow work.

I would suggest contacting George and see what you can work with.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails FIRST TPI TB Adapter Plate-unnamed.jpg  
Old 06-13-2014, 07:49 PM

I talked to George and he is reconsidering his position. He will supply an adapter with bolt holes and will punch out the main bores- nothing fancy like mine with angle milling. I had to port mine to my satisfaction anyway- so if it means some whittling so be it, at least you now have a source of the basic adapter. He sent back everything I gave him- so I will mail him some gasket tracings, but I would suggest either send him accurate tracings or the actual gaskets.

Dave
Old 06-26-2014, 07:03 PM

thanks for the update I just saw this im gonna contact him tomorrow and see what he needs. I don't mind doing the angles and porting by hand I was wondering if he would do a raw piece like this but I didn't want to bother him.
thanks for the heads up
Old 06-26-2014, 08:12 PM

In my area- the machinists can't be bothered, nice to have a guy wanting business.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:05 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am/85 K5 Jimmy
Engine: 406 FIRST/350 TPI
Transmission: TKO 600/700R4
Axle/Gears: 9Bolt/10Bolt front & back

What problems does the FIRST throttle body present? I've had mine on since Nov. and it hasn't been too crazy of a bother.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:12 AM

Basically in my case I have the BowTie OD TV conversion which I like and I didn't want to deal with the linkages, If it was similar to an LS TB I might have lived with it- but in MY opinion with the cheesy TPS mount and plastic roller linkage and return spring, I wouldn't have it on my truck. I really think even at the of original manufacture in the 90's there were enough hi flo TB's out there to just spec a Accel 1000cfm TB oe style and be done with it. Function aside, it is....... ugly.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:25 AM

for me its mainly because I want cruise with a tv cable and don't want to rig it.. if someone had a good way of doing all three linkages I may be able to live with it