Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Champion Radiators - Terrible Product

Old 05-28-2014, 07:46 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
Re: Champion Radiators - Terrible Product

I got around 19" when I measured the height of mine the other day. This is from the bottom of the tank, to the top of the tank.

The core is 17 1/4". There is a bracket on the top of the core welded, which adds another 3/4" or so. Your picture basically shows a 17" core. Your buddy Brent gave you the correct measurement of the CORE.

I recently installed a spall or whatever you call it twin fan setup, and ditched the factory top part and fans. Gonna bend up some brackets on my metal brake. While tinkering with it I did some measurements. I suspect the problem you had is the same problem other members have had, the tank is wider than the rubber so it pushes the radiator up. 5 minutes of trimming the rubber and the radiator sits low enough for the factory top of the shroud to fit over it. Again, the top rubbers need trimming as well because the radiator doesn't have narrow "channels" to slide into the rubber.

The only thing that was a concern, for about 3 minutes, is the radiator cap height. I put some clay on it and closed the hood. There is like 7/16" clearance on my formula. I imagine a car with a misaligned front end, accident damage, etc might not be as forgiving.

I don't know why your first radiator fit better than your second, but I do know the measurements you provided are the same as mine. My radiator fit with minimal effort.

-- Joe
Old 05-28-2014, 06:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 86' IROC
Engine: Supercharged 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45

That the top piece wasnt there it would fit. I guess technicaly the core height is correct(If you dont include the top welded bracket), but the [i guess ill call it] core section is too tall. I wish i knew what the core total height of the original one was because it fit nice and snug. (Now im starting to wonder if its not welded correctly height wise on the side tanks) Im not gonna cut the top piece off just to fit it in the saddle. They'd get it back when it leaks again and void my warranty, so back it went. Asfar as "5 minutes of trimming the rubber and the radiator sits low enough for the factory top of the shroud to fit over it." Check the THICKNESS on yours. Mine was 3", And with the condenser inplace, it will not sit down far enough to make the top mount work. With no rubber bushing even installed, it still would not sit in the top mount correctly. Too tall, Too thick.
http://s113.photobucket.com/user/aia...a744d.mp4.html
Old 05-28-2014, 08:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by aiarchon
That the top piece wasnt there it would fit. I guess technicaly the core height is correct(If you dont include the top welded bracket), but the [i guess ill call it] core section is too tall. I wish i knew what the core total height of the original one was because it fit nice and snug. (Now im starting to wonder if its not welded correctly height wise on the side tanks) Im not gonna cut the top piece off just to fit it in the saddle. They'd get it back when it leaks again and void my warranty, so back it went. Asfar as "5 minutes of trimming the rubber and the radiator sits low enough for the factory top of the shroud to fit over it." Check the THICKNESS on yours. Mine was 3", And with the condenser inplace, it will not sit down far enough to make the top mount work. With no rubber bushing even installed, it still would not sit in the top mount correctly. Too tall, Too thick.
http://s113.photobucket.com/user/aia...a744d.mp4.html
too bad that "designed for a third gen" doesent always mean "fits correctly" hell if we wanted to fab up a radiator we wouldn't need their sorry excuse for "fits correctly"
Old 05-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

I'm sorry to hear you're STILL dealing with this Dan !! It will end,... someday !!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 86' IROC
Engine: Supercharged 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45

**UPDATE**
Finally can close this thread! A month later, i have my money back, and am content.