Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

1983 Camaro Convertible (Stiletto Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 Camaro Convertible (Stiletto Edition)

Hey, do any of you guys know anything about the "stiletto edition" 1983 Camaro convertible? I have seen 2 of these on ebay in recent months and I questioned the owners of both of them and they both said they are genuine GM built convertibles. We all know that is wrong. These look to be AutoForm convertibles with some trim package that a car dealership probably put together and called a "stiletto" My thought is that these were bought new, already converted from the dealership. The conversion was outsourced for the Chevy dealer to a coach builder, not by GM.

Do any of you know anything about these 'Stiletto Edition" Camaros? How many built? Who built them? Who sold them?
Here is the most recent one to appear on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320233622518&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123
Old 05-01-2008, 04:13 PM

Car: '02 WS6 Conv M6, 92 WS6 Conv. M6
Re: 1983 Camaro Convertible (Stiletto Edition)

That is an Autoform convertible. I've had 3 T/A Autoforms and they're great cars. The '83s are rare for the T/A's (only 10 built), but the Camaros had higher production numbers.

As for any of the other names...those must have been custom coach packages put on by the dealership.

The autoform cars were actually ordered as convertibles through GM. GM would build the car and then ship it directly to Autoform where they were made into convertibles and then shipped to the dealerships. Just like Yenko and Baldwin Motion, etc weren't really "factory" GM...but they're treated as such.

It's too bad GM did have the foresight to make them RPO code options!
Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by mrws6speed
That is an Autoform convertible.

The autoform cars were actually ordered as convertibles through GM. GM would build the car and then ship it directly to Autoform where they were made into convertibles and then shipped to the dealerships. Just like Yenko and Baldwin Motion, etc weren't really "factory" GM...but they're treated as such.

It's too bad GM did have the foresight to make them RPO code options!
I want to challenge your comment that the AutoForm convertibles were "ordered as convertibles through GM". GM never made the orders for these conversions. Many coach companies converted the 3dr Gen, and most of them encouraged the dealership to have the car shipped directly to the conversion shop from GM to save shipping costs. These coach conversions were always ordered by the dealership, never by GM. If you know something that proves otherwise, post it here. I love to be proved wrong (it means I am learning something).

I like to compare the process to having a sunroof put in a car. If a potential buyer or the dealership itself wants to have a sunroof put into a car that otherwise does not have one available from the manufacturer, what to they do? They have a shop install one. These are ordered by the dealership, not by the manufacturer. The coach convertible process is similar, though much more extensive (and expensive).
Old 05-02-2008, 08:35 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

Your correct, basically a dealer would drop ship to another dealer from the factory. This essentially did a few things. 1) it gave the Convertible company a CLEAN slate to work with. With a used car they can be tweaked, bumped, rusted, etc. I would assume that they would not want to use something like that. and 2) it would save on shipping, Basically you remove 1 shipping cost. 3) It gave the buyer a Brand new convertible.

From what I understand ASC did this and so did Autoform, I am not sure about the other companies like Greenwood, Hi-Line and Matrix3, but it would make sence if they had a similar program however I have some literature from Matrix3 and Hi-Line from back in the day.

John
Old 05-06-2008, 07:08 PM

Car: '02 WS6 Conv M6, 92 WS6 Conv. M6

Originally Posted by slimwhitman
I want to challenge your comment that the AutoForm convertibles were "ordered as convertibles through GM". GM never made the orders for these conversions. Many coach companies converted the 3dr Gen, and most of them encouraged the dealership to have the car shipped directly to the conversion shop from GM to save shipping costs. These coach conversions were always ordered by the dealership, never by GM. If you know something that proves otherwise, post it here. I love to be proved wrong (it means I am learning something).

I like to compare the process to having a sunroof put in a car. If a potential buyer or the dealership itself wants to have a sunroof put into a car that otherwise does not have one available from the manufacturer, what to they do? They have a shop install one. These are ordered by the dealership, not by the manufacturer. The coach convertible process is similar, though much more extensive (and expensive).
I respect your challenge. Here's what I've learned:

I've talked to 3 different people (including the person I bought my '83 Autoform T/A from) who were/are Original Owners of their Autoform cars. These people talked to Autoform when the company was still in business and their stories are all similar.

No, the cars aren't "factory" GM because they don't have an RPO code as such. Just like the 87-90 ASC TransAms/Firebirds, Autoform was a recognized "authorized" aftermarket coach company.

Even though the Camaros were RPO code options from 87-90 through ASC, the Firebirds/TAs were not. ASC was a recognized "authorized" aftermarket company through GM though. If a dealer wanted a convertible, they could contact GM or the company and have the car shipped from the plant to the company and then directly to the dealer. I have the build sheet for my '83 Autoform TA showing this.

It should be no surprise, because this is the way GM does business. SLP started the same way before GM incorporated them as factory options. The same thing happend with ASC.

I hope this clears up my previous statement. Yenko and Baldwin Motion and Berger were not "factory" cars, but they are recognized as real options by the community.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:19 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27

I think it was probably more likely that the dealership contacted Autoform directly than thru GM. Much like all of the other convertible conversions. From what I understand and from the standpoint of ASC the reason why the Camaro got an RPO was for simplification of the ordering process.

Autoform sent dealers information on how to order the car and then the dealer would order it as such I think GM pretty much stayed out of it..

If you said that the ASC firebirds were done thru GM I would actually have an easier time buying it as the Camaro was from 87 & up.

John
Old 05-18-2008, 09:45 AM

sweet

Last edited by Sotaguy; 07-28-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:21 PM

Car: 83 Z28 Camaro Stiletto Edition

I had been looking for a camaro for about 2 months and I ran into one that seemed to be one of a kind, little did I know, aswell as the man I purchased it from, it was a Stiletto edition. I've been searching and searching on information since the day I found out, and have found little to nothing about it. I would highly appreciate any reliable information.Even the slightest. Thanks, meg
Old 08-16-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by camarolvr
I had been looking for a camaro for about 2 months and I ran into one that seemed to be one of a kind, little did I know, aswell as the man I purchased it from, it was a Stiletto edition. I've been searching and searching on information since the day I found out, and have found little to nothing about it. I would highly appreciate any reliable information.Even the slightest. Thanks, meg
Please post some photos of your Stiletto. We are all trying to understand what the story is and a few photos would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:29 PM

Here She is :

I can take more if needed , thanks
Old 08-17-2008, 01:26 PM

camarolvr - Nice car. What labels does it have that leads you to believe it is a Stiletto? I am curious how you know it to be a Stiletto...are there labels somewhere? Do you have some original paperwork that tells you that? I am not doubting you!....just curious what sets the Stiletto visually apart from other AutoForm conversions.

Thans for the photos. The car looks great.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:42 PM

Thank you. No I do not have paperwork. Is there any way of recieving paper work? I recieved the car from a man that randomly goes to auctions and purchases cars to sell.The last owner aside from him was supposidly a man of which passed away and his wife is the one who auctioned the car. Therefore there isn't much info on it. But what Camaro has two seats and looks identical to a Stiletto that isn't? im just trying to find more information if at all possible.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 z Clone
Engine: 6.4l LSX
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: s12 3.73

thats about a goofy lookin setup....it amazes me the early conversion cars are so different from todays verts
Old 08-20-2008, 12:40 PM

I really suspect that when Autoform did the conversion they realized that they had to do something with the rear seat area... Instead of working around the rear seats like the ASC, Matrix3, Hi-Line etc they probably decided that a 2 seat conversion would be eaiser and less expensive to make...

I could be wrong but that would be the only reason that I could think of for the way they did the conversion IMHO...

John
Old 08-20-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by camarolvr
Thank you. No I do not have paperwork. Therefore there isn't much info on it. But what Camaro has two seats and looks identical to a Stiletto that isn't? im just trying to find more information if at all possible.
All AutoForm convertibles are 2-seaters. The Stiletto package was offered by a small shop and sold as a special package that was added to a few AutoForm converted cars on a few Chevy dealer lots. If your car has no Stiletto identification, you must assume it is a regular AutoForm convertible. Do a search on this site for AutoForm and you will learn a lot. I have found very little info that tells what was part of the Stiletto package....not surprising, since there were so few built and they were not offered by a bigger coachbuilder.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:17 PM

I am so glad I came across this thread. I am trying to figure out some information about a car I have and maybe some of you can help me. I have a 1985 camaro z28 convertible that was done by Auto Form (there is a sticker in the car that states they did the work). This was a car that my brother was restoring however he has recently passed away and I would like to sell it. I cannot seem to find out much information about them or what they are worth. Anyone willing to take a shot and help me out? I can post pictures if you would like.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by azskier
I have a 1985 camaro z28 convertible that was done by Auto Form. I cannot seem to find out much information about them or what they are worth. Anyone willing to take a shot and help me out? I can post pictures if you would like.
Of course, we always want to see photos. As for value, my guess is that it is worth about 25% more that a same-year, same condition T-top Camaro.

This thread is the best thread for AutoForm info on the planet (which doesn't say much!) I bet the 600+ production is probably the most accurate guess, but no one seems to really know how many were built.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/conv...light=autoform
Old 08-20-2008, 10:42 PM

Thanks, I am trying to figure out how to post pictures right now.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:51 PM

Here are a few pictures. I also posted a thread in covertibles and the pictures are there as well.

Thanks again!

2008-Camero004.jpg?t=1219290643
Old 08-12-2011, 11:41 PM

1983 Z28 purchased new So. Tacoma Chevy 305 5 spd. white fully loaded still got it and paper work. Rangers Lead the way
Old 08-14-2011, 05:21 PM

Hey I have a 84 Camaro convertible that was done buy auto form. I am restoring this car and I am needing to get door seals for it but not sure if I need to order seals for the coupe or t-top. Does any one know which seals was used when the conversion was done. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:15 PM

Slim, I purchased my Stilletto brand new at South Tacoma Motors /chevy in Wa State.
Yeah it is an Auto Form conversion. Yes the dealers called the option Stilletto edition.
These cars were Factory Authorized by GM Dealer Option cars. They had to have Factory Authorization
to maintain the GM waranty. Thus they were designated Stilletto edition.
The suspension was covered by GM. I had a boat load of questions on this car before I purchased it.
You have to remember you are taking a unibody car and adding a frame.
That frame had to be covered under GM a waranty. If you had your Autoform conversion done yourself you would have voided your waranty. That is why the Dealer option costs 6000$. These cars are coded for waranty. That is the difference between Autoform 2 seater convertible and a Factory Authorized Dealer Option Stilletto.
Yeah I still have my car and yeah it needs a resto. that is what some day if for.

Doc

Last edited by DOC 2/75; 08-14-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: brain cramp
Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 AM

Car: 1991 Vert Z28
Engine: 305... LS1 waiting to drop in
Transmission: 700-R4... soon 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi nine bolt

this thread is three years old! I have never seen an autoform conversion in person
Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by DOC 2/75
Slim, I purchased my Stilletto brand new at South Tacoma Motors /chevy in Wa State.
Yeah it is an Auto Form conversion. Yes the dealers called the option Stilletto edition.
These cars were Factory Authorized by GM Dealer Option cars. They had to have Factory Authorization
to maintain the GM waranty. Thus they were designated Stilletto edition.
The suspension was covered by GM. I had a boat load of questions on this car before I purchased it.
You have to remember you are taking a unibody car and adding a frame.
That frame had to be covered under GM a waranty. If you had your Autoform conversion done yourself you would have voided your waranty. That is why the Dealer option costs 6000$. These cars are coded for waranty. That is the difference between Autoform 2 seater convertible and a Factory Authorized Dealer Option Stilletto.
Yeah I still have my car and yeah it needs a resto. that is what some day if for.

Doc
Doc - Thanks for the comments. I have learned a lot about them since I originally asked the question. "Stilleto" was the cool name for these early on. It seems by '84 or so, the AutoForm literature dumped the "Stilleto" name.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:17 PM

Car: 1983 chevy camaro 2 seater roadster
Engine: LT1 5.7
Transmission: 700r
Axle/Gears: stock

slimwithman can u show me some pic. of your stiletto and some of a regular autoform because i have one and i dont have any numbers or paperwork and i just want to know what i have. it a very nice car, i never saw one till i bought it and i never saw another one till this site. so if you can tell me a little about them.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:27 PM

Car: 1983 chevy camaro 2 seater roadster
Engine: LT1 5.7
Transmission: 700r
Axle/Gears: stock

Originally Posted by droptop2seater
slimwithman can u show me some pic. of your stiletto and some of a regular autoform because i have one and i dont have any numbers or paperwork and i just want to know what i have. it a very nice car, i never saw one till i bought it and i never saw another one till this site. so if you can tell me a little about them.
Attached Thumbnails 1983 Camaro Convertible (Stiletto Edition)-imag0195.jpg  
Old 09-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by droptop2seater
A "Stiletto" is nothing more than a regularAutoForm Roadster. It was common forcompanies to give a fancy name to their products and that is what AutoForm didfor the first couple years. Search moreon this convertibles forum and you will find many, many AutoForm roadsters. (I do not own one).
Old 04-15-2014, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by slimwhitman
Hey, do any of you guys know anything about the "stiletto edition" 1983 Camaro convertible? I have seen 2 of these on ebay in recent months and I questioned the owners of both of them and they both said they are genuine GM built convertibles. We all know that is wrong. These look to be AutoForm convertibles with some trim package that a car dealership probably put together and called a "stiletto" My thought is that these were bought new, already converted from the dealership. The conversion was outsourced for the Chevy dealer to a coach builder, not by GM.

Do any of you know anything about these 'Stiletto Edition" Camaros? How many built? Who built them? Who sold them?
Here is the most recent one to appear on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320233622518&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123
II worked on getting this one for two weeks. I even let them pick a price. I was afraid when they called the Chevy dealer for a price that it would be too high. Luckily, he just called my 1983 Z28 Autoform Roadster Convertible a kit car. Now, it is mine with no good place to hide it..It does not have the small trunk in the back, but it does have the fiberglass formed but not cut. I think it must be a very early model. The Autoform sticker in the door is missing and so is the original fiberglass hood. It is a 305 four-barrel model, and I am glad of that once owning a 1984 Crossfire Vette.
Attached Thumbnails 1983 Camaro Convertible (Stiletto Edition)-1983-z28-autoform-convertible   1983 Camaro Convertible (Stiletto Edition)-1983-z28-autoform-convertible   1983 Camaro Convertible (Stiletto Edition)-1983-z28-auto-form  
Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by whspratlin
II worked on getting this one for two weeks.
You might like this thread: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/conv...-registry.html
Reply if you have any info to add for the registry.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 RS Vert, 89 Formula, 89 Bird
Engine: L03, TBI 350, none
Transmission: 700R4, 700R4, none
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.45, none

Originally Posted by whspratlin
II worked on getting this one for two weeks. I even let them pick a price. I was afraid when they called the Chevy dealer for a price that it would be too high. Luckily, he just called my 1983 Z28 Autoform Roadster Convertible a kit car.
It also has a 85-90 front bumper cover, in addition to the flat hood. Probably had some damage at some point in its life. Please post a pic of the rear trunk. It's interesting that it's not functional.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:05 PM

I know this is an older thread but I just purchased an 83 "stiletto" conversion and brought her home today. She's been very well taken care of and only has about 60k on her.

I need to do some minor repairs but should have her back and going soon.

Does anyone one know about stretching the top? The top doesn't quite snap down all the way and I was curious if waiting for a hot day and then snapping it down would work? Also one of the snaps is broken...are they repairable ?
Old 08-27-2017, 08:22 AM

Car: 1984 camaro z28 convertible

Originally Posted by trafalger
I know this is an older thread but I just purchased an 83 "stiletto" conversion and brought her home today. She's been very well taken care of and only has about 60k on her.

I need to do some minor repairs but should have her back and going soon.

Does anyone one know about stretching the top? The top doesn't quite snap down all the way and I was curious if waiting for a hot day and then snapping it down would work? Also one of the snaps is broken...are they repairable ?
hi I have an 84 z28 convertible our cars seems like nobody knows too much about them
Old 08-27-2017, 07:21 PM

well i've spent all weekend on this thing and still struggling with it.

The car will idle just fine but if you press the gas or if you put it into gear it will almost certainly stall out and die.

If you goose the s**t out of it you can sometimes coax it enough to keep it running and if you can get it moving you can usually keep it going but if you drop into 1st gear speeds you have to be very careful and play a careful balance of more gas and less clutch to keep it running.

I have no lights on the dash, and I've already replaced the fuel filter, and changed the oil..etc. I've also cleaned the carb best i can with cleaner.

has anyone ever seen this before at all and could point me in any other direction?

I car sat for about 3 years, and I've been doing my best to get the old gas out. I've filled it up with new higher octane gas with a stabilizer.