Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Electronic Speedo - Mechanical, just swap tail housing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
Electronic Speedo - Mechanical, just swap tail housing?

Hey guys,

I'm about to send my transmission off to be rebuilt, the kit came from Dana at Pro-built. My question is, the new transmission is an 88 700R with provisions for an electronic speedo...it also wasn't out of an F-body car. Can I simply swap the tail housing from my 84 model, complete with mechanical speedo gears onto the newer tranmission or will there be more work involved?
Old 04-16-2014, 01:33 PM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt
Re: Electronic Speedo - Mechanical, just swap tail housing?

You'll have to swap the tailshaft housing anyway if you need the stock torque arm mount. Otherwise the electronic sender and mechanical sender pretty much interchange. You may have to swap the internal speedo gears, if they are different.

Before swapping tailshaft housings, be sure to install a new bushing and seal in your 84 tail (or stick your housing on the tranny before sending it off).

Last edited by naf; 04-16-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by naf
You'll have to swap the tailshaft anyway if you need the stock torque arm mount. Otherwise the electronic sender and mechanical sender pretty much interchange. You may have to swap the internal speedo gears, if they are different.

Before swapping tailshafts, be sure to install a new bushing and seal in your 84 tail (or stick your tailshaft on the tranny before sending it off).
The car is my DD, so I was going to try and do it over a weekend, and do the tailshaft/housing after the rebuild is done but it's starting to look more involved.

Can the tailshaft be swapped after the rebuild or does it need to be done while the rebuild is happening?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:59 PM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

Swap it out after the rebuild, no problem. Just keep the seals needed for the tailshaft housing and install them before swapping. Should have a large o-ring for the tailshaft housing to tranny, small o-ring for the speedo cable input, o-ring for the speedo housing, rear yoke seal and bushing. I may be missing one?

Pull off the 88 tailshaft housing and you should be able to identify all the needed seals except for the speedo cable input.

When you get the rebuilt one back you'll have to check the speedo drive gear, which is installed on the output shaft. Make sure it's the same as your existing one. If not you can swap them over easily.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by naf
Swap it out after the rebuild, no problem. Just keep the seals needed for the tailshaft housing and install them before swapping. Should have a large o-ring for the tailshaft housing to tranny, small o-ring for the speedo cable input, o-ring for the speedo housing, rear yoke seal and bushing. I may be missing one?

Pull off the 88 tailshaft housing and you should be able to identify all the needed seals except for the speedo cable input.

When you get the rebuilt one back you'll have to check the speedo drive gear, which is installed on the output shaft. Make sure it's the same as your existing one. If not you can swap them over easily.
Outstanding! Thank you for this. I'll be sending it out early next week for the rebuild.