Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Off the line hesitation in gear

Old 04-16-2014, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 350-TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi
Off the line hesitation in gear

Good afternoon fellow thirdgenners,

While I have many things to check, I was hoping for some suggestions on how to troubleshoot my problem.

I've got a couple of drivability issues going on that may or may not be related.

For the first minute or so after starting, the engine hesitates severely whether it is on or out of gear. After running for a few moments, it revs up fine out of gear and sounds like it's running fine.

In gear, the car hesitates horribly (almost feels like it's not getting fuel/wanting to die) under very light/light throttle and with a VERY harsh 1-2 shift.

If you give it a little more throttle, it's a slightly better and the shift is slightly less harsh.

If you punch it off the line, it's a bit sluggish from 0-25 or so, then seems to get going nicely.

Once the engine is up to temp, the symptoms are less pronounced, but still noticeable.

TPS is adjusted correctly and voltage increases smoothly. I haven't checked the IAC or base timing yet, but the idle will hunt a bit at times. Idles about 5-600rpm in gear. TCC lock up around 35-40mph.

As I said, I have a lot of things to check and will certainly do so. The previous owner claims to have replaced the fuel pump, new orange injectors (bosch iii?), fp regulator, cap, rotor, o2 sensor, MAF, plugs, and wires. I couldn't find any obvious vacuum leaks. I don't know what brand the FP and regulator are. The MAF and o2 sensor are new bosch. There are no trouble codes. A vacuum gauge shows around 15hg. Engine has 133k miles.

Thanks for any suggestions! So much to do, so little time.

Last edited by backtothe80s; 04-16-2014 at 03:22 PM.