DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Aftermarket EFI - 3 choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 Formula hardtop
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Aftermarket EFI - 3 choices

OK after jacking around with car's nearly useless ALDL trying to log and tune, I've decided to just go all the way and get a serious EFI system. After reading about the various types on here and many other sites, I've got it narrowed down to 3.

EBL-P4 - $520 complete with '7730 + $150 PLX wideband O2 = $670
Holley Dominator ECU - $1550 + $180 for (2) Bosch wideband O2 sensors + $110 connector pack = $1840
MS3-Pro ECU - $960 + $300 for (2) PLX wideband O2 + $60 connector pack = $1320

Now let me say, I don't like to tune. I like building engines. I've paid one fella $80 for 3 retunes (LT1PCM) but since I can't log reliably and the car runs so bad that I can't even get it out on the road to make a decent run even if I could log it's pretty much going nowhere. I can buy another '7730 for $80 off ebay just to get the ALDL running right, but I'm not going to. I'm done with the 80's tech. I'm just going to spend a little dough and get this right.

So I have a list of "must have" and a list of "very cool to have" as follows

Must haves are
1) Run the stock dash correctly - speedo, tach, and all 4 gauges
2) self tune VE tables - to get me at least 80% of the way there.
3) a halfway decent harness to work with - GM connectors
4) properly read GM knock sensor - meaning does it have MEMCAL 350SBC knock filter equivalent?
5) no ALDL logging. I want modern USB link between laptop and ECU

Very Cool to have
1) Closed loop wideband O2 running mode
2) *Even better* Closed loop with DUAL wideband O2 sensors. One on each header collector.
2) SFI with crank trigger
3) COP ignition

So I threw out FAST EZ-EFI after reading several different guys complain the autotune doesn't really get them there. I'm pretty sure EZ-EFI 2.0 would also have the same issue. Don't know if it runs closed loop wideband or not. XFI and XFI sportsman? Don't know.

Accel doesn't have autotune.

MS3-Pro has autotune and overall it sounds like a beast capability-wise. Handles speedometer and tach. Closed loop wideband O2 running.

The Holley HP/Dominator EFI. This is the one I keep reading where a dude throws it on a turbocharged 350 in the morning and goes out and pulls full throttle runs that afternoon. Absolutely amazing. Built in WB O2 controller (and comes with sensor - HP only) Dominator you need to buy 2 sensors. Handles speedometer and tach. Closed loop wideband O2 running.

EBL-P4 - Does all the "Must haves" but comes in at half the price of Holley and MS3-Pro.

Appreciate any and all inputs.

Last edited by MedVader; 03-08-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Re: Aftermarket EFI - 3 choices

I was the project manager on the MS3-Pro development, so I'm a bit biased. But I'll be glad to field questions on it.

Yes, it does have autotune. It's implemented a bit differently from some other ECUs as it uses a laptop to handle the number crunching instead of having the autotune on the ECU side. And yes, you can set it to run in closed loop with a wideband (I'm pretty sure Holley does that too).

The MS3-Pro has speedometer and tach outputs for the dash - the other gauges work on their own, with their own sensors and no ECU involvement.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Ebl4 for cost vs features and ease of integration. Plus alot of support here
Old 03-06-2014, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Cramer
I was the project manager on the MS3-Pro development, so I'm a bit biased. But I'll be glad to field questions on it.

Yes, it does have autotune. It's implemented a bit differently from some other ECUs as it uses a laptop to handle the number crunching instead of having the autotune on the ECU side. And yes, you can set it to run in closed loop with a wideband (I'm pretty sure Holley does that too).

The MS3-Pro has speedometer and tach outputs for the dash - the other gauges work on their own, with their own sensors and no ECU involvement.

On the self tuning, when do the operational VE tables get updated? Does the laptop need to be in the car hooked up while doing a learning run?

If I wanted to keep my stock harness, would it be better to get the bare board and mount it in a '7730 box?
Old 03-06-2014, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
Ebl4 for cost vs features and ease of integration. Plus alot of support here
Absolutely. I was just about to pull the trigger on the EBL last weekend before I thought to take one more look at what else is out there.

I will buy something by this weekend.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 ZR-1
Engine: LT-5
Transmission: ZF-6
Axle/Gears: SuperDana 44 4.10

Originally Posted by MedVader
Absolutely. I was just about to pull the trigger on the EBL last weekend before I thought to take one more look at what else is out there.

I will buy something by this weekend.
Aside from the features you seem to value, take a look at the software itself.
EBL closely follows the OEM coding and utilizes what GM put there in the first place. Take a look at how "granular" the tables are. How well does the software focus on part throttle, emissions, driveability?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

I will buy something by this weekend...
Turbo GTA w/EBL-P4 here...
Old 03-07-2014, 07:05 AM
Supreme Member

Idk if EBL gets any more resolution or not since i think you still would be limited by oem chip memory size and gm coding, but the 730 stuff has plenty of resolution to do most sensible street motors. I went 9's in a twin turbo 400" sbc running 730 based software. Great setup for bang for buck
Old 03-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 ZR-1
Engine: LT-5
Transmission: ZF-6
Axle/Gears: SuperDana 44 4.10

Orr,

That was my point. Since EBL starts off from the OEM code, resolution is greater than what you would find in other aftermarket systems.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 AM

On the self tuning, when do the operational VE tables get updated? Does the laptop need to be in the car hooked up while doing a learning run?
There's two options on current release code. One, you can have the laptop in the car full time, and can set the update intervals to whatever you want. Two, you can use the built in data logging to record things with no laptop, then download them to the laptop to use it to adjust the tune offline and upload a new tune.

The V1.3 code (currently in beta testing) also has a long term fuel trim feature that updates fuel tables without a laptop. However, it works more slowly as it is intended to correct for engine wear, etc. on top of an already tuned fuel table.

If I wanted to keep my stock harness, would it be better to get the bare board and mount it in a '7730 box?
That, or you could make an external adapter harness. However, the stock TPI harness kind of holds you back when using a Holley or MS3-Pro. Here's some tricks that can't be pulled off with the stock '90 harness.

1. Individual cylinder tuning. The MS3-Pro has separate trim tables for each cylinder; the Holley has a fixed percentage. Either way, this is going to need some rewiring.

2. Sequential injection. This will need a different ignition setup - either a dual sync distributor or a crank and cam trigger combination. The payoff is improvements in idle quality and light throttle drivability.

3. Bypassing the ESC module (Ok, this could be done with the stock harness with a minor tweak). This lets the ECU adjust the knock threshold, and even run different threshold levels at different RPMs so you can raise the threshold as background noise goes up.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Supreme Member

Must haves are;

1) Run the stock dash correctly - speedo, tach, and all 4 gauges
EBL-P4 is a direct replacement, runs everything like stock...

2) self tune VE tables - to get me at least 80% of the way there.
Yes, I was dialed in at 0% correction after a few VE learns...

3) a halfway decent harness to work with - GM connectors
Utilizes the stock harness, took me three minutes to install...

4) properly read GM knock sensor - meaning does it have MEMCAL 350SBC knock filter equivalent?
You can use your stock memcal for knock filter if you desire...

5)no ALDL logging. I want modern USB link between laptop and ECU
Here is my install, USB port easily accessible under the vent, connect and tune, 1 2 3...

Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
EBL-P4 is a direct replacement, runs everything like stock...

Yes, I was dialed in at 0% correction after a few VE learns...

Utilizes the stock harness, took me three minutes to install...

You can use your stock memcal for knock filter if you desire...

Here is my install, USB port easily accessible under the vent, connect and tune, 1 2 3...

I hear you bud. In fact I cannot find a thing wrong with EBL-P4.

I guess all I'm looking for in this thread is a reason why Holley HP or Dominator or MS3 is worth the extra money. And that thing is performance : power, drivability, fuel economy

The cool to haves list is growing.

I'll spend $1000 - $1500 to get the capability to be able to EASILY slap on a crank trigger to get SFI and COP down the road. EASILY being the key word.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:14 AM

There's two options on current release code. One, you can have the laptop in the car full time, and can set the update intervals to whatever you want. Two, you can use the built in data logging to record things with no laptop, then download them to the laptop to use it to adjust the tune offline and upload a new tune.

The V1.3 code (currently in beta testing) also has a long term fuel trim feature that updates fuel tables without a laptop. However, it works more slowly as it is intended to correct for engine wear, etc. on top of an already tuned fuel table.
OK. That all sounds good to me.

That, or you could make an external adapter harness. However, the stock TPI harness kind of holds you back when using a Holley or MS3-Pro. Here's some tricks that can't be pulled off with the stock '90 harness.

1. Individual cylinder tuning. The MS3-Pro has separate trim tables for each cylinder; the Holley has a fixed percentage. Either way, this is going to need some rewiring.

2. Sequential injection. This will need a different ignition setup - either a dual sync distributor or a crank and cam trigger combination. The payoff is improvements in idle quality and light throttle drivability.

3. Bypassing the ESC module (Ok, this could be done with the stock harness with a minor tweak). This lets the ECU adjust the knock threshold, and even run different threshold levels at different RPMs so you can raise the threshold as background noise goes up.
What is individual cylinder tuning? What connections are needed for that? What sensor gives individual cylinder feedback? EGT on each runner?

What ESC module would I want to bypass? The one in the HEI distributor?

If you had a 6" adapter harness from the 7730 harness to your MS3-Pro with flying leads for the all the new I/O that would be a major selling point.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Does anyone know if there are matching pigtail version of the 7730 connectors? Meaning the connectors that are on the 7730 ecu.

Or is the only option to rip those connectors out of a donor 7730 box and solder/crimp wires to the PCB pin side? Sort of a compromise, but if I go with MS3 or Holley, I would prefer to build a short adapter harness to their connectors.

I just don't like the idea of cutting off the 7730 connectors from the harness. It just bugs me. Sort of a "no going back" permanence to it.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:27 PM

What is individual cylinder tuning? What connections are needed for that?
You'd need to run separate individual wires to each injector; the 7730 uses only two wires, one for each bank.

What sensor gives individual cylinder feedback? EGT on each runner?
There are several ways it could be done. Cheapest and least accurate way is old fashioned spark plug reading. EGT or a wideband per cylinder is more accurate.

What ESC module would I want to bypass? The one in the HEI distributor?
The one wired to the knock sensor.

If you had a 6" adapter harness from the 7730 harness to your MS3-Pro with flying leads for the all the new I/O that would be a major selling point.
The connectors don't have a wire-to-wire version, but for the black 24 and 36 pin connectors, we have something called a DIYBOB: http://www.diyautotune.com/diybob/index.html It mounts the connector on a board that you can solder leads to. We don't currently have one for the greenish-yellow connector, as we haven't seen much demand for it. We are about to launch our first GM plug and play ECU (for the C4 Z06 Corvette), though, and we'll see if that changes things.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=MedVader;5726361]And that thing is performance : power, drivability, fuel economy
QUOTE]

If that's really what you're looking for then the Accel is second to none. It has more transient (drivability) tables than all the others listed.
And the self tuning on anybody's system is only as good as the air/fuels entered and doesn't do cold start or acceleration fueling. And you still need to do your spark map as well.
Lots of misconceptions on the self tuning stuff.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:20 AM
Supreme Member

Misconceptions?

EBL-P4 comes with plenty of base bin files with SA/AE tables already in tact. Depending on the cylinder heads being used, there really isn't all that much to SA tuning, only to bring it all in at around 3000-RPM, then start pulling back if boost enters into the equation...

How much does the Accel system cost by the way, you neglected to mention...
Old 03-08-2014, 01:40 AM
Supreme Member

I guess all I'm looking for in this thread is a reason why Holley HP or Dominator or MS3 is worth the extra money. And that thing is performance : power, drivability, fuel economy...
It is not worth the extra money, believe me. I went with XFI for my Procharged C4 and spent a lot for the harness alone. Does it come with many features? Yes. Is it user friendly? Yes. Does it offer better drive-ability, fuel economy and power? No. Half of the features that add to the final cost you aren't even going to use, and they are so overrated it isn't even funny. Do you know how many guys ditched the two thousand dollar XFI and jumped back to the stock '7148 GN ecm modded by Bob Bailey and Eric Marshall in the Turbo Buick world? Plenty, and that is because they soon realized that any ecm can get the job done, and two grand simply is not feasible anymore. Maybe back in the 90's when people were blind to tuning, but not now. Funny thing is, most of the people that argue about this stuff rarely even race. We literally live at the track here by Raceway Park, and even carburetors are still taking out two thousand dollar control systems running against them down the track, so the cool factor doesn't really come into play as far as I'm concerned. The tuner has the final say in the end...

Good luck with whichever route you choose...
Old 03-08-2014, 07:51 AM

[QUOTE=Street Lethal;5726808]It is not worth the extra money, believe me. I went with XFI for my Procharged C4 and spent a lot for the harness alone. Does it come with many features? Yes. Is it user friendly? Yes. Does it offer better drive-ability, fuel economy and power? No. Half of the features that add to the final cost you aren't even going to use, and they are so overrated it isn't even funny. Do you know how many guys ditched the two thousand dollar XFI and jumped back to the stock '7148 GN ecm modded by Bob Bailey and Eric Marshall in the Turbo Buick world? Plenty QUOTE]

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!! I couldn't have put it better myself!!!
I've contended that very same thing since the XFI came out. It's got all kinds of bells and whistles and they advertise the most, but that doesn't make it the best does it?

That why I said the Accel will drive better than all the rest in this category, period. Many of the tables were done from OEM type programs, i.e. their TAU table idea came from Ford and some of the starting fuel tables came from GM. (The previous Accel DFI building was literally right down the street from GM High Performance)

And the "Self tuning" only does the base fuel map. Check around, you'll see lots of guys having trouble with these self tuning systems on anything other than a 300hp 350. And on a blown application typically you won't have a wild cam in it. That plays right into the self tuning. Go beyond that and you'll almost certainly run into problems.

Last edited by efiguy; 03-08-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:03 AM

How much does the Accel system cost by the way, you neglected to mention...
I was told I'm not allowed to quote prices on here because I'm a dealer but didn't buy ad space. Pm me if you'd like more info. Thank you.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:12 PM

It is not worth the extra money, believe me. I went with XFI for my Procharged C4 and spent a lot for the harness alone. Does it come with many features? Yes. Is it user friendly? Yes. Does it offer better drive-ability, fuel economy and power? No. Half of the features that add to the final cost you aren't even going to use, and they are so overrated it isn't even funny. Do you know how many guys ditched the two thousand dollar XFI and jumped back to the stock '7148 GN ecm modded by Bob Bailey and Eric Marshall in the Turbo Buick world? Plenty, and that is because they soon realized that any ecm can get the job done, and two grand simply is not feasible anymore. Maybe back in the 90's when people were blind to tuning, but not now. Funny thing is, most of the people that argue about this stuff rarely even race. We literally live at the track here by Raceway Park, and even carburetors are still taking out two thousand dollar control systems running against them down the track, so the cool factor doesn't really come into play as far as I'm concerned. The tuner has the final say in the end...

Good luck with whichever route you choose...

Street, thanks for all the input. You and efiguy are absolutely right. In the end, there's no getting around the nitty gritty of tuning if you want a good running efi car. And no amount of fancy options (at the currently available level of tech) are going to get around that.

I went and read the Holley support forums for tuning the HP and Dominator. And guess what? They're all full of the same idling, driveability, throttle stumble, surging, ... issues I see on all the tuning boards. Their resident expert gives roughly the same advice as Rbob on the EBL tuning thread.

If I'm going to have to face the issue of tuning this thing by hand anyway, the EBL is a winner hands down.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by efiguy
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!! I couldn't have put it better myself!!!
I've contended that very same thing since the XFI came out. It's got all kinds of bells and whistles and they advertise the most, but that doesn't make it the best does it?

That why I said the Accel will drive better than all the rest in this category, period. Many of the tables were done from OEM type programs, i.e. their TAU table idea came from Ford and some of the starting fuel tables came from GM. (The previous Accel DFI building was literally right down the street from GM High Performance)

And the "Self tuning" only does the base fuel map. Check around, you'll see lots of guys having trouble with these self tuning systems on anything other than a 300hp 350. And on a blown application typically you won't have a wild cam in it. That plays right into the self tuning. Go beyond that and you'll almost certainly run into problems.
I understand your point. But at this point, given I gotta fine tune this by hand no matter what, what would Accel offer that's worth $500-$1000 more over the EBL modified GM controller?

The EBL at least gives me wideband O2 learning to get me a good point to start from. Way better than starting from a canned tune. The self learning is a valuable tool in the tuning chain. And if I can get that from the cheapest option, the next option up has to offer that at least.

I don't have anything exotic, 355 10.5:1, TPI manifold with slightly bigger runners, CC305 cam, 24lb injectors, ported Patriot iron vortecs, Accel tri-Y headers.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Supreme Member

The EBL at least gives me wideband O2 learning to get me a good point to start from. Way better than starting from a canned tune. The self learning is a valuable tool in the tuning chain. And if I can get that from the cheapest option, the next option up has to offer that at least.

I don't have anything exotic, 355 10.5:1, TPI manifold with slightly bigger runners, CC305 cam, 24lb injectors, ported Patriot iron vortecs, Accel tri-Y headers.
My cam specs are actually much bigger than yours, and I am running a 305 engine. My static compression is a point and a half lower than yours, but with boost it towers above yours. The EBL-P4 dialed my engine in immediately, and with precision, and with no hiccups whatsoever. I don't want to post a video in your thread so I will just post the link, but this is with a smaller 305 engine, and a 23x/23x camshaft tuned by EBL-P4. In my opinion, standalone units like MS and Accel have their place, but normally in vehicles that are not ECM equipped like 60's and 70's vehicles, but that's just my opinion. It'd be ridiculous to pull a stock harness out if it can be utilized...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqXXeC-HduQ
Old 03-10-2014, 01:46 PM

I understand your point. But at this point, given I gotta fine tune this by hand no matter what, what would Accel offer that's worth $500-$1000 more over the EBL modified GM controller?
I believe it has even more transient tables than the EBL.
Individual cylinder trim via load and RPM.
Adjustable injector timing via load and RPM.
1 stage of nitrous, and it calculates it for you. And doesn't the EBL spark map stop at 4000rpm? Sometimes there's performance to be had there as well.
I'm sure there's other things as well but I haven't viewed the EBL stuff lately so I don't want to talk out of school.

And I understand about the canned tune. But there are some who can get you real close, right from the start.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Supreme Member

You really shouldnt have much issue getting that to run starting with an L98 bin.

It honestly didnt take much to get my big 400" motor running starting with a modded L98 based file and a 4.3 v6 turbo file haha. You'll be fine
Old 03-10-2014, 02:25 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

And doesn't the EBL spark map stop at 4000rpm?
SA to 6400 RPM, VE to 8000 RPM.

I'm sure there's other things as well but I haven't viewed the EBL stuff lately so I don't want to talk out of school.
RBob.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by RBob
SA to 6400 RPM, VE to 8000 RPM.

RBob.
Gotcha.

However Accel is scalable from 0 to 12,500 for spark, air/fuel and VE.
And it still has the other features I mentioned over and above the EBL.
EBL is very tunable no doubt. But as mentioned, Accel took a lot of the OEM stuff one step further.
Both good systems.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:42 PM

Car: 02 Hawk
Engine: 427
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Subscribing, gonna need to figure something out here soon. Thanks for posting this topic.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:44 AM

Car: 92 rs
Engine: 355 stealth ram, dart heads, S480
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I was leaning hard toward the xfi sportsman. But after reading this i think im gonna try EBL P4 setup. I eas always worried about figureing out GM coding. But ill never know if i can do it unless i try.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Has nobody else noticed that this guy is the author of one of the best selling efi startup books out there now? Great guy and very helpful, has helped me via email with a few things about MegaSquirt III extra. Glad to have you as a member here Matt!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

You're kidding right? Exactly what systems are giving people trouble? I had a 350 wheel horsepower 350 that MegaSquirt III had no trouble tuning. My current 383 is around 400 and again MegaSquirt III had no trouble tuning it. The motors aren't wild still but plenty of people using MegaSquirt for high power stuff. I believe that three of the top six in the engine builders challenge last year used MegaSquirt. Where are you getting your information from?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 PM

Car: 87 monte aerocoupe
Engine: 383 HSR w/ novi 2000
Transmission: Built 4l80e circle d converter
Axle/Gears: Currie 9" 3.89 gears

I was throwing around ideas to swap from a c950. I ended up with holley hp. The main things I wanted to do was run ls coils, sequential fuel, and self correcting fuel table. That and a faster processor with much more table resolution. Almost done with the swap, tough to find the time.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:10 PM

Car: 1990 gta
Engine: 383,tfs heads,hsr
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.73

I have a bs3 on my 72 chevelle turbo drag radial race car...and altho its more user friendly than the stock computer ebl p4...at the end still have to tune it..lol
on my race car drivability is not a concern all out performance is....I have the ebl p4 on my 500hp street car and I have to tell you its very good unit plus rbob gives you the best support there is....I tried getting help to start learning with bs3 4 years ago when I got it...and I run into a wall...lol
one thing I can tell you is you will be better to learn how to tune it...it will pay off at the end....at least it has with me.
still learning with the ebl tho but its defenatly made me a better tuner with my bs3.
just my 2 pesos